Osteoarthritis

Options
Giggywoo
Giggywoo Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I'm a newbie,so not really sure how this all works..

I have been told ,I have wear and tear I'm my right knee.To me,only means one thing, Osteoarthritis!!!

Be great to chat with like minded people,who suffer with pain every day..

I'm on Naproxen for a month,and cocodamol..Any other tips,Or help on how to alleviate pain,and continue with a normal ,or near normal day to day activities..😕

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Giggywoo

I am glad you have found our online community. We are a supportive and friendly group, and I am sure that members will respond to your message.

I understand that you have been told you have wear and tear to your right knee and have been put on Naproxen and Cocodamol. You are right that wear and tear can be the start of osteoarthritis, but if you are able to keep moving and control the pain, you may well be able to continue with your life as normal.

Our website has a lot of information which you may find helpful and I am posting a couple of links below as a start for you:

Do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Welcome to the community @Giggywoo,

You're in the "shock and awe" phase of a new diagnosis but you've absolutely done the right thing in coming to this website. I've learned more here and had more support in the last 2 months than at anytime in the last 18 months or so.

Caryl has provided 2 links to some excellent articles, step 1 is to understand your condition and what it means, step 2 is to learn what you can do about it moving forward.

I believe there are 3 core pillars to maintaining or improving quality of life for OA sufferers like us:

1: Diet (to eat foodstuffs which can help manage symptoms and even ease them)

2: Exercise and Physio (to keep healthy and build strength around the knee to support the joint)

3: Pain Management (to help with the exercise and physio which will certainly hurt at first and to lead as pain-free a life as possible)

There's only so much GP's and Physio's can do - so much is up to us as individuals to understand and manage our condition.

I hope you get what you want from this community, if there's anything specific you'd like to know or want advice on please drop in, we'll be glad to help.

Welcome to the club!

Jon

• daveh1980
    daveh1980 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi,

A great group to gain knowledge, advice and positive input. I have ankle OA and have so far found the below helps:

I'm on naproxen - Takes the edge off bad days, but not a long term solution.

I use a tens machine all the time which I find excellent in managing the pain.

I have changed my insoles in my shoes / trainers, and changed my style of trainers I wear (more sporty / cushioned).

I've changed my diet to remove certain foods to reduce inflammation, and lost a bit of weight with it.

I'm waiting on a steriod injection (july) which may help, we will see.

I was struggling mentally with OA when it started to really trouble me, and I got a really good piece of advise on here regards new / different opportunities. I have always been very active and sporty but struggle now. I'm now getting into watching tv documentaries, reading books, and now learning a new language. And also reading and watching videos on OA and how you can ease it.

Dave