Pain relief

Options
GarethJ
GarethJ Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, 1st post on here. I have ankylosing spondylitis in my neck, C6 and C7. Osteoarthritis in my wrists, left shoulder and fingers. My neck has been painful for quite some time, but recently my left shoulder has got really painful. I've had an x-ray and the doc has confirmed Osteoarthritis, but says there is nothing he can do as I'm already on pain relief for my neck and he can't up the dosage any more. He has suggested a tens machine. Anyone on here use one?

Thanks, Gareth.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @GarethJ and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis in your wrists, left shoulder and fingers. your left shoulder is now also causing you more pain and you are wondering about a TENS machine. A lot of people on here use them (including me) and they can often be of some help. See the information below for a bit more info.

These days they are relatively cheap to expensive so the choice is yours.

With best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Welcome @GarethJ,

I've been using a TENS machine for several months now, every day for about 30 minutes which is the minimum recommendation by the manufacturer. Users have varying degrees of success with them, some finding the pain returns as soon as it's switched off, others (like myself), finding the effects last several hours.

There are many different types to choose from but basically they're battery operated, handheld devices with or without wires for the electrode pads. The more expensive ones have lots of different settings but chances are you'll probably settle on one or two in practice.

They work by cancelling out the signals going to the brain that says the body's in pain. They can also help with the release of Endorphins, the body's feel-good hormones which are a natural painkiller.

Where to buy them from? Lloyds Pharmacies sell a good range and in your position I'd probably go for a wireless jobby.

As they're relatively inexpensive (mine was about £40), they're one of the more affordable and effective pain management tools out there, I wouldn't be without mine.

Hope this helps,

jon