I’m new here. Up and down journey with PSA

Options
Tcarno2810
Tcarno2810 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, Diagnosed with PsA in 2020 after lots of tests etc. I have been suffering with long covid for 18 months plus excruciating pain in most of my joints. My arthritis is more enthesitis and have been on methotrexate and 3 different biologics. Had to come off all meds for full MRI of spine and pelvis at end of March as requested by rheumatologist. In past 4 weeks my pain symptoms have subsided, still stiff in the morning. But for months I wasn’t out of house due to pain, fatigue etc.

Still awaiting MRI results and have also let Rheumy know that my symptoms have got better.

The question I have, has anyone else had similar story? Has anybody came off medication and felt better? Or is it I’m not flaring now. So confused by it all.

Still Waiting on Rheumy discussing my case. They were talking about a new drug Rinvoq. They are now thinking of not giving me this because I feel better. I’m concerned as I don’t want to go back to the way I was which was no quality of life and not able to work or do anything.

I’m hoping to get back to work very soon and I do a challenging job. Don’t want to go back the way and struggle with my job.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @Tcarno2810 welcome to the online community

You describe your last few years as an up and down journey, it certainly seems that way. Having long Covid, being diagnosed with PsA , prescribed different medication then when you have come off all the treatment you start feeling better.

The Rinvoq medication your consultant is considering is a JAK - Inhibitor which is used when other medications have not worked. Therefore if your symptoms have improved there will hopefully not be a need to take this. As for whether this current period is a return to a stable plateau let's hope so. We are not medically qualified so your Rheumatologist is your key advisor , taking into account the results of the MRI and your bloods.

As for returning to work, have you considered easing yourself in on a part time basis? Is this something you could discuss with the HR department? I attach a link dealing with work related advice

There are other members who have experienced arthritis as a result of long covid and I hope they will share their stories and tips on how they have coped.

Do let us know how your improvement progresses and what tips you have to share about how you cope with your condition.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 712
    Options

Hi @Tcarno2810

I have PsA and enthesitis and was also diagnosed in 2020 - in my case possibly after a bout of covid.

I don't know if it's been tried for you it but what's working for me is 2 DMARDs and a biologic. I take 3gms sulfasalazine daily, 10mgs MTX weekly and 40mgs of the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita once every two weeks. My rheumatologist said the 3 together gave a better outcome than each of the 3 individually. I think the term is synergistic. I'm not cured but I'm in a far better place than I was.