🌟 Finding Strength and Resilience in the Face of Osteoarthritis 🌟

Options

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to share my personal journey with osteoarthritis and offer some words of encouragement to those who may be going through similar experiences. Living with osteoarthritis in my ankles has posed its fair share of challenges, but I've learned to adapt and find strength along the way.

At first, it was hard to accept the limitations that osteoarthritis placed on my daily life. The inability to run or engage in high-impact activities felt like a heavy weight on my shoulders. But over time, I've come to realize that my worth is not defined by what I can or cannot do physically.

Instead, I've focused on finding alternative ways to stay active and keep my body moving. Swimming, cycling, and walking short distances have become my go-to activities. They not only help me maintain physical fitness but also provide a sense of joy and accomplishment specially when I walk with my headphones and some nice music. Music has done a lot for me. Even when I can't sleep at night I put on my favorite Playlist and listen till I doze off. Today is one of those nights and I decided to write my experience here.

One thing I've learned is the importance of listening to my body and practicing self-care. When the pain becomes overwhelming, I've learned to take a step back and rest. It's like pressing a reset button that allows me to start fresh and tackle each day with renewed energy.

Support from loved ones and a community (versus arthritis)of individuals facing similar challenges has been instrumental in my journey. Sharing our experiences, frustrations, and triumphs helps us feel understood and less alone. So, if any of you are going through tough times with osteoarthritis, know that you have a community right here that understands and supports you. I remember my first time here, I had struggled a lot and couldn't get any answers. As I read through the posts I realized that I wasn't alone. When I posted I got responses and I tried them. It's hard to find what works for you but I soldiered on till I got here. I am not healed but I have found ways to cope. During flare-ups I have learnt to pause a little. Most importantly I have learned to say No to things I used to love but now cause me pain.

Remember, you are so much more than your osteoarthritis. Focus on what you can do, discover new passions, and find fulfillment in other aspects of your life. Embrace the small victories, celebrate your resilience, and always remember that you are not alone in this journey.

Stay strong, keep pushing forward, and let's continue to support and uplift one another!

Sending positive vibes and virtual hugs to each one of you. πŸ’™

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

@Macdee73 thank you for a lovely, encouraging, positive post. That ha s got my day off to an excellent start. Ankle arthritis is horrible as there's no way of standing on any other bit(!) If it's any consolation, mine fused themselves in the end, in a very good position, and now that's two joints I don't have any pain in.

I do wish your post could be writ large for every anxious newbie. Well done and thank you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

What a fabulous post @Macdee73

I want to draw it to the attention of the forum adminny person @PeterJ it' such a lovely thing to read.

Not everyone takes the time to thank them for making sure we even have a forum to come to and help each other.

I quote @stickywicket ".....I do wish your post could be writ large for every anxious newbie. Well done and thank you."

Thank you again

Toni x

• Macdee73
    Macdee73 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Thank you @stickywicket. My left ankle awaits fusion but in the meantime I do what I can in a positive way. I am looking forward to having fused and painless ankles.

• Macdee73
    Options

Thank you @frogmorton. I struggled before I joined this platform with no conclusive results. After knowing that there are millions out there like me, your advice and experience helped me understand my condition and helped me live a leading life. It's not perfect and definitely not painless.

Thank you @PeterJ for such a forum

• Jan1955
    Jan1955 Member Posts: 26
    Options

Thank you so much for this amazing post. Your kind words have helped me very much and I’m sure many others too….JAN

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Macdee73
    Options

Hie Catherinecarer

I am sorry to hear about your struggles. But I hope you feel better soon. It's the unfortunate side of our conditions. They get worse with time. Finding Balance is really hard and after a while later what used to work as remedy eventually stops working. But never stop looking for something that will relieve you from pain.

Regards Macdonald

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Macdee73
    Options

Hie Catherine

I am sorry about your experience on the 17th. I hope you feeling better now.

Regards Macdonald Tembo