Knee pain

Options

Hi

I have I arthritis in my right knee. It's been good for simply ages. Recently become very painful especially first thing in the morning. I can't wait bear on it for what seems like ages but is probably many seconds. After sitting or lying down same thing can't weight bear on it for awhile and so painful.

Can you suggest any reason why this is happening

Thanks

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hi @starflower,

I expect one of our wonderful Admins will give you a proper welcome to The Community but in the meantime I just wanted to ask you what meds and supplements are you taking for your condition?

The reason is that I experienced the exact same issues as you and was able to trace the cause back to one of the supplements I was ingesting which didn't seem to agree with me.

Thanks,

Jon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options

That's interesting @jonr

Something was actually causing it apart from the arthritis? Wow.

Our bodies are all different is suppose.

Toni x

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

That's right @frogmorton,

I found I got sudden sharp stabbing pain which would come out of the blue for seemingly no reason, it was quite dangerous as sometimes it would happen when I was driving or crossing a road and I literally couldn't move for the pain until it passed. Sometimes the tendons would lock too. Odd thing is it only affected my left knee!

Once I stopped taking the Glucosamine it stopped and hasn'thappened since.

Go figure!

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @starflower

We are sorry to hear that your arthritis has been painful recently especially in the morning.

If your condition is Osteoarthritis in the knee there are various symptoms that can affect a person but always remember you will have good and bad days, hopefully more good days. In a healthy joint there is a tough but smooth and slippery tissue called cartilage which covers the surface of the bones and unfortunately when the joint develops osteoarthritis part of the cartilage starts to wear thin and a person can experience pain swelling and stiffness also a cracking and grating sensation and the knee feels less supportive but with exercise it can help to build up the muscle and help with the stiffness.

Often when we are resting and in one position during sleep our joints can stiffen up which can be experienced by many people.

What may be helpful when you wake up is to sit on the edge of the bed and move your knee gently for 10 to 20 seconds before you start walking this will hopefully help you to get that joint moving.

Possibly the next step if this hasn’t already been suggested would be if you could get a referral to see a Physiotherapist this is an important part of treatment for any form of arthritis, they are trained in advising the best exercises for you.

It may be worth speaking to your doctor about Capsaicin cream which is a drug free complementary treatment, which is recommended for osteoarthritis and has been given a score of 5/5 for effectiveness for this condition, it is only available on prescription from your GP. When applied in the form of a cream it is thought to provide pain relief by temporarily changing the way our body process pain which works mainly by reducing Substance P, a pain transmitter in your nerves. If you were to get the cream, it would need to be applied 4 times a day and allowed to build up into the system for at least 2 weeks.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hi @starflower

I too have been suffering with this now for a few months and have tried various different things like gently doing stretching exercises before getting up. When sitting I sometimes find it easier to stretch my affected leg out straight which sometimes helps otherwise when I get up I have to stand for a few seconds and wait for my knee to catch up and let me walk slowly. I did ask a physiotherapist at a course I am on and said that exercises should help build up the muscles but this does take time. I have been taking supplements like Glucosamine and Cod Liver Oil for quite a few years and stopping the Glucosamine didn't seem to make any difference but then everyone is different. I am seeing a person from MSK at the end of the month and will ask his opinion on this. These things are sent to try us but we have to carry on regardless and don't let it beat us!

Take care🙂

• rebecca1001
    Options

Today Im unfortunately in pain with my knees, there swollen more today due to arthritis. However I have managed to wash my car and my new medication will take time to work so I guess I will have to be patient. I'm trying to keep busy and active even if everything takes me a little longer to do and I just need to do everything at my pace..