hip replacement

Options
langlands
langlands Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I am 93, male, live alone manage quite well, consultant advises new hip with long NHS waiting time will cost £16000. no pain in bed or sitting or driving car, I need a stick to walk though have good balance, use a walker if any distance. I am very worried about operation as I have heart problems including atrial fibulation no after care provided by hospital unlike NHS. I am thinking of putting it off, going on NHS list and really working on exercise with physio help, being on my own no one to talk it through so can anyone add advice and thoughts please.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @langlands

I am so pleased you have found our online community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I am sure you will get lots of advice from our members.

I understand that you are 93, living alone and needing a hip replacement. You are concerned because of heart problems, and would like to be able to talk through the pros and cons of whether to pay for surgery now or go on the NHS waiting list and work on exercise. This is definitely the right place to talk through how you feel. It is good to exercise as much as you can leading up to surgery, and it sounds as if you are getting it right with support whilst walking. There are a few exercise programmes on our website and I will post some links below. If you have a good physio to help you work out what is best for you, that sounds very sensible.

Do keep posting and let us know how you get on. It will be good to hear from you.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options

Gosh I don't know what I'd suggest @langlands

I know on the NHS they would look thoroughly into your heart issue before even attempting surgery.

One question which would influence my own decision would be; would the private surgery take place in an NHS hospital like some are? If so you'd know there would be NHS back up should there be a problem.

I have to say I am totally impressed at your positive attitude and cannot fault the attitude exercise and getting as fit as possible will be a great thing to do wherever you decide to have your operation.

I hope you'll let us know what you decide to do.

Take care

Toni x

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @langlands Like Toni I'm really impressed by your positive attitude and approach to exercise as this is certainly one thing that we can do to help ourselves.

Two years ago my hip was possibly in a similar state to yours but I was "only" 68. I had a private hip replacement operation which also cost £16,000 plus a little. As far as I'm aware no private hospitals have intensive care facilities so before the op I asked what they'd do if something went seriously wrong. The consultant casually said that because he also worked in the nearby NHS hospital he'd get me in there.

I'm sure you know, but hip replacement is a major operation and to be frank and not to mince words part of the procedure is quite brutal compared with most other forms of surgery which is performed with great delicacy and finesse. They have to dislocate the hip joint: think of how tough it can be to dislocate a leg on a cooked free range chicken and then scale that up to human proportions! Recovery from the op takes several months. I'm fortunate in having made a good recovery possibly helped by all the time and effort I invested in exercise before and after the op.

After the op I expect you would need some support either in your own home or in a respite care facility. This would need to be factored into your budget.

Personally I would place greater reliance upon an NHS consultant advising a hip replacement than a private consultant who, although probably a only a very remote possibility, might just be slightly motivated by the money. But then I'm something of a cynic!

You face a very difficult decision and, as I was told, it's only one you can make for yourself based on quality of life and the importance you attach to being able to do certain activities balanced against the various risks. One factor that might be in favour of waiting would be that it'd give you time to assess how fast your hip is deteriorating vs how much benefit you get from physio and exercise.

• langlands
    langlands Member Posts: 3
    Options

thank you, good advice have you heard about supporting lhip braces by any chance?