Thumb joint pain

Options
Cecìddle
Cecìddle Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi! I'm new on here.

I've been suffering with pain in my thumb joint for a few years but it's recently got much worse. I wear a support sometimes, which I bought online, but is it OK to take painkillers daily? I have some Naproxen which was prescribed for a different condition. Should I take it regularly without consulting my GP?

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Cecìddle

Welcome to our online community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I am sure you will soon get posts from people who have been through something similar to you.

I understand you have pain in your thumb joint which is getting worse and you wear a support sometimes. You ask about pain killers. It is important that you consult your doctor before taking medication which has not been prescribed. There could be lots of reasons why your thumb is painful, not necessarily arthritis. If over the counter pain relief is not helping, your doctor will be able to help, and maybe get an xray.

Do have a look on our website as there is lots of information which you may find helpful, e.g.

Do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• veryaraf
    veryaraf Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi, I have intermittent thumb pain. The thing that worked for me was FlexiQ. Not so far to penetrate. You have to let it dry after application. Didn’t work on knees. Everyone reacts differently but it isn’t a nasty painkilling pill so worth experimenting. My daughter uses it as well. Don’t need a prescription either. Worth a go but unless it is on offer at Superdrug etc maybe get it on Amazon. You should take a stomach pill with Naproxen though. Have you googled it?