OA of both knees, feeling down.

Options
susieH
susieH Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I’ve just been diagnosed with OA of both knees.

Got results over phone from X-ray.

I have been off work for a month now. Going back on Thursday but can’t face it. Doctor suspected Ankylosing Spondylitis also but X-ray came back clear.

I can hardly walk and pain in my groin is really bad some days when I’m working ( job consists of lots of heavy lifting) My collar bone hurts both sides and under both feet too.

I knew something wasn’t right for a while and I had to push for an X-ray of my knees.

Im feeling really low and can’t stop crying. Naproxen was prescribed but I felt really sick and lightheaded.

look forward to chatting.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    edited 26. Jul 2023, 10:18
    Options

Hello @susieH

Welcome to the community we are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience aswell.

I understand you have arthritis in your knees and possibly Ankylosing spondylitis.

Our website has a lot of useful information please see links below.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

Ankylosing spondylitis | Symptoms, causes, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best Wishes

Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lizziejayne53
    Options

Hello @susieH

Constant pain can be debilitating in many ways, and we should not underestimate the impact on our mental health. I am not sure if you have already done this, but it might be worth speaking to your GP on how you are feeling and see if there is any other mental well being support mechanisms that can be put in place for you.

I know from experience how difficult it can be and, I am in constant pain but in my shoulder and right arm, and I have also been prescribed anti-depressants. These are not always the answer but I have found these to have been of support and also some one to one counselling.

I hope that the diagnosis can at least give you a pathway to some more support and help

With love

Liz x

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @susieH,

What you're describing is totally natural, these early stages it's frightening and depressing to accept a diagnosis and what that means to your life moving forward.

Given your state of mind I'd recommend calling the hotline, I did and I think it could really help you to plan a way forward because there are a lot of things to take on board in managing your condition. I need 2 new knees, awaiting surgery but am leading an almost normal life and coping very well so there is light a the end of the tunnel!

Do check back in if you need to, we're all here to support each other.

Jon