New and arthritis in my hip

Options
Nickybu
Nickybu Member Posts: 3
edited 29. Jul 2023, 15:28 in Living with arthritis
I am a young 56 and was advised by my local MSK team that my arthritis in my hip was severe in April and they were going to refer me the the orthopaedic consultant to discuss surgery. I received a letter in May to advise me I had 38 weeks to wait before I could see a surgeon. I’m in so much pain and wish I could afford to go private.
Tagged:

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Nickybu and welcome to the Community, we are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

First of all I hope you don't mind me moving your post - I wanted to make it a separate topic so hopefully others will share their support and experiences with you. I understand that you have severe arthritis in your hip and waiting for a replacement. I hope you get some progress soon, but in the meantime please have a look at the following from our website which I hope might be of some use.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 406
    Options

I presume your nursing the pain like mad @Nickybu but it didn't work. What are you trying at the moment.

• Nickybu
    Options

thank you for your message’s and sign posting. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate arthritis in 2014. I had lots of physio before the diagnosis and after. I had shockwave treatment and also 1 steroid injection which did help a lot. It took a lot of phone calls and chasing to get another X-ray this year to be told that it is now bone on bone and “no wonder I’m in so much pain” and they will refer me for surgery. I have some good days and bad days but in more recent weeks a lot of bad. I have been taking cocodamol. I could help myself if I lost some weight and all the things they recommended you do. Just need to get myself motivated which is why I reached out to this group in the hope I might find some inspiration 😊

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 406
    Options

Losing weight is difficult without exercise but worth trying if your overweight. I resorted to a mixture of detox diet I used in the past, and something new. I went for fruit only in the morning, sandwiches for dinner, and rest of the time eat what I want (including snacks and take aways !). Nothing happened but then I cut out red meat most of the time as its bad for cholesterol anyway. Chicken gets a bit boring, but I can put up with it. That way I finally started to gradually lose weight and lost 15kg so far (2.5 stone). Im not a great fan of crash diets.

• Nickybu
    Options

That’s brilliant that you’ve lost that weight, well done! I am overweight. I actually downloaded the NHS healthy eating app yesterday. I have to make a start as the pain is quite intense at the min.