Gout & Pseudo-Gout

Options

I've just read the article about Malcolm living with Gout.

I was recently diagnosed with Pseudo-Gout. I had heard of gout before but not pseudo-gout. The difference is that instead of uric acid crystals in a joint you have calcium crystals in a joint.

As Malcolm said the pain is excruciating. Mine is in my right wrist which means there is not a lot I can do as I am right handed. When the consultant orthopaedic surgeon showed us the x-rays the crystals were obvious they looked like huge boulders between the bones.

My 'treatment' was take ibuprofen, which I'm already taking in-between taking co-codamol for my arthritis.

I've had joint problems for nearly 50 years now and my only treatment is taking pills and having joints replaced, 3 so far. Does anyone know what the record is?

I guess I'll have to write another poem/song!!

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 892
    Options

Hi @Supermand you may have already see this but have a look at the following

it mentions pseudo-gout.

As regards the record .... over to others on the Community😀

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

I have no idea who has had the most joint replacements, but suspect it will be quite a few.

You'd have to decide whether revisions count as more than one replacement of course🤔

Toni x

• Supermand
    Supermand Member Posts: 15
    Options

For my Guiness Book Of Records entry I'm only counting new joints revisions don't count.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Really? Try having one @Supermand 😁 Revsions require double theatre time , usually longer rehab and can only be performed by the best surgeons.

Yes, I have a revision😆 With or without it it I could trump you on replaced joints but I don't think either of us would make the record books.

Both gout and pseudo gout are very painful. You have my sympathy.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Telynores
    Telynores Member Posts: 5
    Options

Sympathies all round, as a sufferer from both gout with a recent very painful flare-up, and osteoarthritis resulting in a hip replacement I understand the pain and restrictions they can place on you. So, big hug to you all.

• 18amandah
    18amandah Member Posts: 34
    Options

I have swollen big toes. Makes walking painful. I also have a failed hip replacement, due to no care package while i was also a full time carer for my late Husband . Also i was so tense before the op . no pre med they wanted to give me an epidural, but i wasnt happy crying my eyes out. so going the Alternative route. Sound bath, reflexology. natural healing with harry edwards sanctury, & massage with hemp each day &heat patches on qhen i go out .sorry to rant best wishes Amanda

• Telynores
    Telynores Member Posts: 5
    Options

Rant away, much better than bottling things up. Big hug, and best wishes.

• shortstuff007
    Options

Hello Amanda, big hugs. I have just been to the GP about my swollen big toes. I can sympathise. I am waiting to see if anything shows in latest blood tests but suspect he really had no idea x Best Debbie

• men5j2s
    men5j2s Member Posts: 2
    Options

No new joints for me yet (knocks on wood), but have had gout for 15 years now with around 5 or 6 flare ups a year. It’s not fun is it :) pain meds do their job most of the time for me, but with them come the gut problems.

Best of luck everyone!

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @men5j2s

Welcome to our online forum. We are a friendly group and our members will always support with information and by sharing experiences when they can.

Gout can be incredibly painful and there is quite a lot of information about it on our website. I am posting two links to some recent research below which you may not have seen:

Do keep posting - we look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm