26 y/o with arthritis diagnosis. Lost independence, mobility, future hope!
Hi everyone, posting for the first time to try something new. I’ve had reactive/inflammatory arthritis for about 8 months now following the flu/possible Covid at Christmas. I used to be very active, I enjoyed running, walking, racket sports, the gym, walking my dog, etc. I now can barely stand some days let alone walk. I’ve lost my independence - sometimes I can’t even look after myself properly which is difficult because my partner works away during the weeks! I also struggle to socialise these days due to not wanting to be a burden because of my condition. I’m a teacher - I have had a lot of time off already this year and am desperate to be feeling a bit better by September as this disease is damaging my career. I am currently taking methotrexate, it did work a little bit but then I came off it (I thought it was just a 3 month course- oops) and all my symptoms came back worse than ever. back on it now though but already hoping I can be on biologicals. I have two main questions…
1) Lots of advice in VA to exercise your joints and that will reduce pain etc in the long run. Can people really do this? All I can do is swim. I can’t imagine walking for more than 5 mins, let alone all the stretching etc advised on here. If I push through the pain will this really help?
2) does anyone have any positive advice re biological treatment? How long did it take for you to get it, and have you managed to get some of your life back?
thanks in advance everyone and hope you’re having an ok day pain wise!
- All Categories
- 2.3K Welcome
- 5.3K Say Hello
- 17 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 40.4K Our Community
- 669 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 3.8K Living with arthritis
- 2 Want to Get Involved?
- 50 Hints and Tips
- 220 Work and financial support
- 390 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 40 My Triumphs
- 132 Let's Move
- 24 Sports and Hobbies
- 13 Food and Diet
- 256 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 16 Community Feedback and ideas
- 333 Chat and News
- 29 Val's Cafe
- 269 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe