PIP Preparing Food: Hip and Back Pain.

Options

Hello everybody.

Im looking for some advice on the PIP activity preparing food, the activity is about preparing food at waste height and mainly focuses on hand problems and dexterity. My problem however is to do with my hips and back and I cant use a perching stool because I have compression fractures in my spine caused by osteoporosis. Because of these fractures in my spine using a perching stool causes me significant pain in my back while sitting on a stool. The only thing I have to go on with preparing food is basicly not being able to stand long enough to complete the activity of preparing food to an acceptable standard or in a reasonable time period. I feel that this will not be enough to score points from the DWP and this will give them enough opportunity to deny me points for this activity with reasons such as: That this activity can be performed with a certain level of pain there for we think that your are able to complete this activity to an acceptable standard ect.. Im just looking for some advice on this because quite frankly I feel that the reasons I have given on this activity even though I am in considerable pain when preparing food will not offer any credible reason to score points from the DWP.

Thank you.

Landgull :)

Just keep swimming ;)

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 896
    Options

Hello @Landgull36uk could I suggest you call the Helpline, number below, to see if they can offer any advice? @helpline_team can you offer any advice please?

Thanks

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options

Read the responses

I think you do have difficulty because of this:

• you take rest breaks while preparing or cooking

??? maybe?

Best of luck

Toni x

• CL0901
    CL0901 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I’m about to start a claim for PIP & am expecting to have to jump through many hoops (what ? With my knees ?!) before I get a decision. It makes me sad that maybe thousands or even more of us 1950s born ladies have to keep working because our pension age was changed. I’m certain that I’m not the only one who is struggling with health issues 😕

• Sulli67
    Sulli67 Member Posts: 6
    Options

If you get declined it, ALWAYS appeal. Most are then overturned. Speaking from experience!

With regards to the cooking issues:

State that cooking has to be planned ahead because you can't stand at oven for long and to sit on stool causes pain/pressure on hip. State you have to take a break between prep and cooking it. State any pans with food, water in it causes pain in bk when lifting it.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @Sulli67 and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Some good advice regarding PIP - thank you. Like a lot of these things it is a case of if at first you don't succeed....

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Sulli67
    Sulli67 Member Posts: 6
    Options

If you get declined it, ALWAYS appeal. Most are then overturned. Speaking from experience!

With regards to the cooking issues:

State that cooking has to be planned ahead because you can't stand at oven for long and to sit on stool causes pain/pressure on hip. State you have to take a break between prep and cooking it. State any pans with food, water in it causes pain in bk when lifting it.