Kennel cough vaccine dilemma
My wife recently took my dog to the vets for his annual booster and kennel cough vaccine. As I am immunocompromised I am aware that there is a very small risk to myself as the kennel cough vaccine is live. I also understood (maybe incorrectly) that if my dog did not have the vaccine and were to subsequently get kennel cough then this would pose a greater risk.
In the past I have been advised to avoid being in the consulting room when he is being given the vaccine and not to travel in the car with him immediately afterwards as this would pose an increased risk so have always taken this advice seriously.
On this occasion the vet has advised that he shouldn’t be given the vaccine at all due to the risks involved and has said that as long as he isn’t going into boarding kennels then the risk of him getting kennel cough is minimal.
Even though we won’t be boarding him, he will still be around other dogs so could still theoretically get kennel cough so I am finding the situation very confusing and am unsure what decision to make.
Perhaps I am over thinking this as I guess the risk is low either way but I am very interested to know if others have had the same dilemma and what decision you have come to.
- All Categories
- 2.3K Welcome
- 17 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 40.4K Our Community
- 674 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 8.7K Living with arthritis
- 2 Want to Get Involved?
- 53 Hints and Tips
- 222 Work and financial support
- 390 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 40 My Triumphs
- 132 Let's Move
- 24 Sports and Hobbies
- 13 Food and Diet
- 257 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 16 Community Feedback and ideas
- 333 Chat and News
- 29 Val's Cafe
- 269 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe