Where to start

Options
Jane68
Jane68 Member Posts: 30
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

A friend messaged yesterday to say she'd found an old book called "You can heal your life" by an author called Louise L Hay - I'd luckily never heard of her.

The friend sent a photo where the author described various illnesses and the reasons you have the illness and what you can do about it. The friend added it might be worth a try.

Unbelievably the author said that people develop RA because they have a deep distrust of authority and feel very put upon.

The author said that by saying "I am my own authority. I love and approve of myself. Life is good" on a daily basis you can free yourself of the disease.

How ridiculous and dangerous. I wondered how you deal with stupid suggestions regarding your health?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

As long as there are incurable diseases there will be unscrupulous people happy to make a good living out of peddling their snake oil treatments and theories.

Usually, we don't actually meet them. If I do, my response depends on many things. I'd treat a not-very-bright-but-desperate-to-help person more gently than an out and out salesperson.. But still with a firm negative.

I just hope your friend is a good one who wanted to share a laugh rather than suggest, subtly, that you have a problem with authority!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    edited 9. Aug 2023, 05:28
    Options

Oh dear me!

How many of us have problems with authority?🤣

I had no idea.

Off to get 'cured'

I have no idea what you can say to that friend other than to thank her politely, but gently point out firmly that you have an autoimmune condition. Then maybe supply her with some 'real' information. Pick her up a leaflet from Rheumatology next time you're there?

Take care

Toni

• Jane68
    Options

Thanks Stickywicket and Toni - it's nice to know you thought the same as me x

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24
    Options

That is a book for the bin! If your friend thinks its helpful she needs a massive re education. If it was meant as a laugh - well its totally unfunny and she needs to be told so.

• Jane68
    Options

Hi Linda,

Thank you - yes I must let her know.