Fibromyalgia

Options
Di_
Di_ Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

After several years of swollen and very painful toes, feet, ankles and knee I was referred to a Rhumatologists. I was also experiencing mild stiffness in my hands and fingers but not as bad as the other areas. Initially Psoriatic Arthritis was suspected, as I also have Psoriasis. However, following xrays and blood tests a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia was made in June this year. I also have very high uric acid levels and commenced medication to reduce it two weeks ago.

Since my diagnosis things have got worse. In July some of my fingers and parts of my hands became very swollen and painfull. This lasted about two weeks and I am still feeling generalised tenderness in my fingers and hands now. My right elbow is now extremely painful, which is making my arm difficult to move.

Things aways seem worse in the mornings and when I get up after sitting in a chair throughout the day. The tops of my feet hurt as soon as I stand and my fingers hurt when I grip things. I also have pain down the side of each thigh, from the hip to the knee, which causes pain when sitting and makes sleeping in comfort very difficult.

The Rhumatologists said to give it at least eight months before considering any medication to treat the symptoms, as sometimes fibromyalgia just goes away.

Has anyone else experience similar symptoms with fibromyalgia? If so, I would be grateful for any advice about managing the pain, please.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hello @Di_ and welcome to the online community,

I understand you’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the pain is increasing. Eight months can seem a very long time to wait before treatment and I wonder if your GP has given you any medication to deal with the pain meanwhile? It might be worth talking to them about it.

I’ve linked to a couple of information pages about fibromyalgia and managing your pain that might be of help. There are ways we can try to help ourselves and I know that our members, all of whom have experienced living with pain, will have some other suggestions of how they deal with it.

Do have a look round the forum and ask any more questions that you may have or join in any conversations where you feel comfortable.

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm