Cimzia

Options

Hello 🙋🏻‍♀️

I am new to the forum, hoping to hear of people’s experiences with RA and Cimzia medication.

I was diagnosed with RA in 2019 at the age of 29. I was prescribed Methotrexate which helped keep me mostly symptom free for almost 4 years. In November 2022 I stopped taking Methotrexate as I hope to soon start a family. I was prescribed Sulfazalizane which had absolutely no effect and I went into a severe flare up. Unfortunately the rheumatology team I’m under were not helpful or understanding, instead insisting I persevere and wait for things to improve. They didn’t and after 8 months I was finally prescribed Cimzia.

From the first dose my RA symptoms disappeared and I’ve been in remission for 5 weeks. I’ve also experienced no side effects - except the fact that I have missed my period. I have read that menstrual disorders/disruption is listed under uncommon side effects (less than 1 in 100 people), so I was wondering if any ladies also taking this drug have experienced the same thing or something similar? I have taken 2 pregnancy tests, 5 days apart and both were negative. Given that I’m taking this medication with the hope of conceiving, I am now worried it could prevent me from doing so. I will of course talk to my GP & Consultant about this, but it would also be helpful and reassuring if anyone is willing to share their experiences of Cimzia.

Many thanks

Gail x

Tagged:

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Options

Hello @GailLouise and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been prescribed Cimzia (Certolizumab pegol) but concerned about conceiving. I agree you definitely need to talk to your GP/Consultant but have a look at the following, particularly the last paragraph.

and also the following search results form this community Cimzia there are a few on Cimzia and pregnancy.

I hope that you can get some answers and I am sure others on here will connect with you to share their experiences as well.

Best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• GailLouise
    Options

Thank you, Peter, for your very kind message and the provided links.