New OA diagnosis

IsabellaB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with OA in the thumb earlier in the year but my fingers are quickly changing shape ( thumbshare curvy) and my hands and wrists are painful as well as middle of my back, lower back, neck and shoulder. My GP stated "we are not meant to live this long" and hasn't recommended anything. I have bad anxiety at the moment thinking about the future as my Dad suffered badly from what he called Rheumatics, until he passed away a couple of years ago. Do you think I should go back to GP and ask for a blood test? Thanks guys!


  • Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,006

    Hello @IsabellaB and welcome to the online community,

    All our members have experienced living with arthritis and I'm sure will understand the anxiety that you feel having been diagnosed with OA in the thumb earlier in the year and now feeling increasing pain in your joints. Living with arthritis today can be very different from years ago when your Dad lived with 'rheumatics' however. There are new and different treatments and new ways of managing our condition. I've linked below to an introduction to arthritis - it might be useful to look at to help you understand your condition a bit better, and also to be able to talk to your GP without feeling you are being brushed off:

    Do let us know how you're getting on,

    Anna (Moderator)

    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,564

    Hi @IsabellaB

    Sometimes we do have to be quite assertive with our GPs.

    It may be that what you have is indeed arthritis but being brushed off like that is very unhelpful.

    I would make an appt maybe in a week or so with a different Dr if you wish.

    Then I'd go with someone to support you. A partner maybe and succinctly describe your symptoms.

    You have to explain that your father had, what he called, rheumatics and you would like some tests to establish whether it is Arthritis and if so which kind.

    The inflammatory kind - which includes rheumatoid arthritis needs medication to prevent damage to our joints. If it is one of those types the sooner you start this medication the better.

    If it's osteoarthritis then the way forward tends to be physio and pain relief that sort of thing.

    Hopefully you'll be offered blood tests and maybe X-rays to help find out what is going on for you.

    Best of luck

    Toni x