Help understanding blood test results.

Hi,

My letter from the Rheumatologist says "a VAS of 60 and a CRP of 22".

He says that is high, I just thought I would ask if anyone here knows what the data means?

Thank you.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 795

Hi @StateOfPlay

I don't know what a VAS test is though it appears to refer to an Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) test. I do know what a C reactive protein (CRP) test is though as I've had that done many times. I was told that the normal CRP level expected in a healthy adult is between 2 and 3. It is an indication of inflammation and/or infection. In late 2020 just after I had been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (inflammation) I took a bout of pneumonia (infection) and my CRP level reached 340. After almost two weeks in hospital they actually discharged me with a CRP level of 127 as it was on a downward trajectory. My CRP level stayed at around 60 after the pneumonia was sorted until I was put on the correct cocktail of drugs for my PsA. My CRP level now is regularly about 1.

If you are worried about it it might be a good idea to contact your rheumatologist to get them to explain it.

• Thanks Jamie,

I am not concerned as much as just wanting to know what that data means. You have put it into context for me, much appreciated :)

I am waiting now to get onto the NHS early arthritis clinic, so I can get on the correct meds.

Cheers.