Sport

Options

What sports do you all do with arthritis?

Comments

• GillW
    GillW Member Posts: 8
    Options

I’ve just started aqua aerobics - found it really helpful for improving my mobility - recently diagnosed with RA and have issues with my knees and lower back. There is no chance of doing my usual dry land fitness classes as I just can’t move as freely but in the water I can really push myself as the water takes the strain 😂

i do go to the gym still to try and build up some leg strength to support my knees

I’m also mostly ok with running so do park run when I can (if my knees aren’t playing up)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options

I walk mostly and cycle that's about it.

Swimming i would do if I could get a warm enough (empty enough have to do backstoke due to neck pain) pool.

I also have resistance bands which I use at home.

What do you do @Brads27 ?

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hi @Brads27,

I used to Run and play Badminton before the recovery time for my knees became too much. Apparently there is no link between OsteoArthritis and high impact sport and there is research to show it can be beneficial by strengthening joints. I've just worn away all my cartilage is all!

I've swapped the Running and Badders for Cycling and Swimming for my cardio kick in the main. I also do Spin classes and top those up with gymwork to strengthen my joints. I'm very active but it has taken many months of experimentation to get on top of the pain to allow me to do what I do.

What are you doing or would like to do out of interest?

Cheers,

Jon

• Brads27
    Brads27 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I walk my greyhound 3 times a day and play Crown green bowls 4 times a week.

• Brads27
    Options

I used to go swimming but now I'm busy playing bowls.I take my dog for walks 3 times a day. I am very overweight though.

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 280
    Options

Morning @Brads27

I have recently started a pain management course.

The course introduces you to all forms of exercise ie yoga/pilates/gym/weights/aqua etc etc all supported by qualified trainer.

Then you decide what suits you as everyone is different ??

The following may help

Take care @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Brads27
    Options

Thanks Naomi, I've been told not to do weights because of my heart attack.I can't bend down or kneel so that would rule out most things. I feel very uncomfortable going in a gym.