Chest pain

Options

Has anyone with rheumatoid arthritis ever had random chest pains that last up to an hour and not too often which feels like it could be a heart attack. I had my 4th episode last week and hospital and doctors can never find anything wrong this time telling me its a gastro problem. Even had a cardio angiogram and nothing. Its really getting to me and my partner as we don't understand whats wrong. I have even given up work as a cleaner as the previous time its happened there but the last one just a passenger in the car. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Susan_83

Welcome to our online forum. We are a friendly group and I hope that some of our members may be able to share their experiences with you.

I understand that you have RA and have recently been experiencing chest pain which your doctors cannot explain. It must be very frightening for you, especially as you have had to give up work. I don't know if you have had a chance to explore our website yet, but you may be interested in this information:

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Hi there,

If they think it might be a gastro problem (which sounds distinctly possible to me as they're often mistaken for cardiac ones) has your GP prescribed a stomach protector such as lansoprazole or omeprazole? Think about what you've eaten before it happened and also if you're standing, sitting, bending or lying down. I take lansop every morning and a swig of gaviscon going to bed but don't self-treat. see what your GP says.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susan_83
    Susan_83 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Yes I've got lansoprazole so I am starting to take that every day now previously I was just to take it if I take naproxen Guess I will just have to wait and see if it happens again.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 22. Aug 2023, 09:40
    Options

I do have scary chest pains and like you had all the tests including a stress test and 72 hour monitor finding nothing wrong.

I am 90% certain that for me it's some sort of panic attack/stress even though I am not panicking at the time! A stress thing.

I'll describe them:

The pain is mid chest and quite a deep sharpish pain and does radiate up to my jaw/neck. It is very sharp then seems to ease a bit then comes back stronger again. The pain gradually subsides over anything up to an hour and have mostly been in the afternoon/evening. I usually stop whatever I'm doing immediately.

I have tried everything including gaviscon/ rennies you name it.

I have had them for years and years now and am still scared when one happens I ahve put my BP monitor on at times and it's right up as is heart rate. I used to keep testing and watch both return to normal as the pain subsided.

Really glad you've had all the tests and definitely might be worth trying Sticky's idea see if it's dietary.

Hope it eases for you.

Best of luck

Toni x