Exercise.

Options
Arkwright52
Arkwright52 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi all. I am a new member. How often should I do the strengthening exercises. They seem to be helpful.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Arkwright52

Welcome to our online forum. We are a friendly group and try and support each other with information and help. Perhaps you would like to tell us a little more about yourself?

Without knowing more about the exercises you are doing, it is difficult to respond directly to your question but you may find this information useful as a starting point:

Do keep posting and let us know how you ae getting on. I'm sure other members will be able to share their experiences.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Welcome to the Forum @Arkwright52,

The best person to answer this might be a Physio, I saw one attached to the Health Centre I go to. After an assessment, he gave me a tailored set of exercises and stretches to do each day, they take around 20 minutes.

As my joint strength has improved (which took a good 4 months in my case), I was able to top it up with other exercises at my local gym, plus cycle, walk and hike.

If you find as I did that it's painful then mastering your pain management is pretty vital - get that sorted and you'll be well away.

Jon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

Hi @Arkwright52 ,

As @jonr says, a physio is the best person to advise. In the meantime, I've always been told to build slowly and it's always worked for me. Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Arkwright52
    Options

I did try the exercises on the website which although a bit of a struggle improved my mobility slightly.

• pianoforte
    pianoforte Member Posts: 25
    Options

yes indeed the physio on this website are very helpful but I’m conscious I need to get them well balanced, which is quite tricky!

• Mollbhan
    Mollbhan Member Posts: 20
    Options

I have RA, I joined my local gym and started strenuous exercising, cycling, rowing, swimming etc in the belief that this would keep me mobile, at the time it did and I would go to bed feeling great. A big mistake because in the morning I could barely move, I think exercise is very important and still do all these exercises but now in moderation, knowing your limits is very important.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Little and often is a much better philosophy than going for the burn, as Mollbhan found. With arthritis, overdoing it will result in inflammation and fatigue that will take a long time to pass. A little gentle exercise every day is better than a heavy session once a week. It might feel a bit feeble at the time, but you will notice the difference if you keep at it in 3-4 weeks. It is worth persevering, and you have nothing to lose. I put the telly or some nice music on while I'm doing it, as it is a bit boring.

Do see a physio if you can - they'll give a tailored exercise sheet that will suit your condition and abilities, and can modify it if it's too much, or if you're improving and it can be taken up to the next level. I gave up with NHS physios years ago - waiting lists far too long, and only a limited number of sessions offered over a fixed period. My hospital sent me home with an A4 sheet of exercises when they discharged with me with my new hip, and that was apparently the "gave the patient physio" box ticked 🙄. Private Chartered Physios are much more flexible for appointments and you can see them as often or as liitle as you need, and as these things go, they're not that expensive (mine is around £45 per session, but I don't need to see her very often so it's affordable).

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 286
    Options

Hello all

I found the following courses useful and supportive ......

Gives you a taste of different exercises to help you decide what is best for you as we are all different.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm