Anaemia

Options

Hi all, any suggestions regarding the best way to manage anaemia? I am, according to my consultant 'just about anaemic'. I currently take Spatone (2 sachets daily) but looking to take something else. A friend suggested beetroot juice. The only other thing I can think to do is try Floradix (which I used during my pregnancies). I eat a healthy balanced diet so need something to top up on what I'm eating. Many thanks! X

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 717
    edited 21. Aug 2023, 21:16
    Options

Hi @Chip_peeps71

Did your consultant say which type of anaemia you have? I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia - which was a lack of vitamin B12 and then diagnosed with a lack of B9 and D3. It was eventually discovered that it was because of me still being prescribed the PPI Omeprazole. Apparently the PPI puts a lining of protection on your stomach wall to protect it from the harmful side effects of NSAIDs. Unfortunately it can also stop vitamins being absorbed. I was already taking B9 (folic acid) 6 days a week as part of my methotrexate regime so I was put on B12 and D3 supplements and the omeprazole was stopped - it had been continued in error for 7 months after I'd stopped NSAIDs - and my blood tests eventually reverted to normal readings.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I wouldn't dream of self-management here. I've had mild anaemia more than once and, according to my, then, rheumatologist, both RA and the meds we take for it can cause it. But so can other things. My GP always checked me out for a bleed somewhere. Fortunately, a short course of iron pills always sorted it but better safe than sorry.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 276
    Options

HI. You aren’t alone. I’ve been on a shed load of tablets to try to rectify my low iron. Had other investigations to see what might be causing it. I have had various tests, and they showed up I had a gut infection called H Pylori. Had antibiotics to clear it.

my iron is still low, so they are monitoring it. My next b/t is at the end of September,

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Chip_peeps71

I'm surprised your consultant didn't prescribe you some meds such as iron tablets. I'd suggest speaking to your GP and finding out what's caused the anaemia and getting the right source of meds for you.

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.