Looking for best vacuum for elderly mum with arthritis

Options
lindsaybubbles
lindsaybubbles Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi folks

I'm looking for recommendations. My mum bought a Dyson V12 which is not good for her arthritic hands - she seems incapable of taking the dust canister off and even getting the stick off that canister with its big red button, and lining up the stick and clicking it back on again. She also has sight problems but she seems to be pushing and mishandling equipment in really strange ways these days. I don't think it's the best machine for her due to the stiffness of the click-on and off of the canister but also because the bulky dust canister is at the top of the stick and actually quite bulky to grip. She iwants cordless because of her sight and trip hazard of power leads, any ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hi @lindsaybubbles

Welcome to the online community.

I see you are after some suggestions for a vacuum for your Mum who has arthritis.

There are so many on the market I can see why you don't know where to start. I too have a Dyson hand held. Personally I find holding the trigger as you vac quite hard work, but I think that's the idea so we don't wear out the battery.

I have done a quick 'search' for you on the subject and hope you find something useful in one of the (many) threads:

For anyone popping in to reply to this post it's absolutely ok to name something which has helped you personally, just avoid linking to specific sites selling them.

Best of luck finding something to help @lindsaybubbles

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

I have a dyson handheld too it's ok, but my hands do suffer after a bit of use.

Have you considered a cleaner? I did for my Mum when she got a bit older it also gave me peace of mind on the day she visited.

Best of luck

Toni x

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 221
    Options

Hi @lindsaybubbles the bag may not be easy to change with arthritis hands but Oreck vacuum cleaners are lightweight which might be of help. Could always arrange for someone else to change the bag regularly.