Link between gut health and RA

Options

Hi all,

I'm interested to get your opinions on gut health and the severity of RA. Has anyone actively tried to improve gut health with diet or supplements, and have you seen an improvement in inflammation or pain?

I mentioned gut health at my last arthritis nurse appointment and the response was ' you can always try'.

Also, I'm currently injecting Amgevita every 2 weeks and wondered if the supplements containing 'live bacteria' which promote gut health are appropriate for me, or should they be avoided because they are 'live'.

I would really welcome your opinions.

Thanks, Louise

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hi @Lou1234

I hope you will find this discussion interesting.

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/comment/707808#Comment_707808

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

I believe, increasingly, they're findng there's possibly a gut trigger for at least some cases of RA. But, once we have it......?

In my early RA years i tried all sorts of supplements and diets. Only DMARDS helped. If you want to try anything then I'd go with your rheumatology nurse but run anything you propose to take past your pharmacist to check for interactions with each other and with prescribed meds.

Live bacteria? Well, as live vaccines and soft cheeses are out for us I'd be very wary of live bacteria in supplements. Again, check first with the pharmacist. But keep taking the meds😉 And good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 719
    Options

Hi @Lou1234

I'd agree with @stickywicket that you'd best talk to your rheumatologist first. I'm also on Amgevita and was warned to not eat pate, raw egg products, soft cheeses, blue cheeses, feta, anything unpasturised or undercooked meat and poultry. The fact that we take adalimumab means we are officially immunocompromised so I'd be wary of taking anything with live bacteria in it unless a medical professional with some knowledge of the circumstances says it's ok.

• Lou1234
    Lou1234 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you all for your advice. I always forget about the pharmacists. I'll have a chat with one of them. Thank you again, I really appreciate your comments. Louise

• Saffey
    Saffey Member Posts: 4
    Options

I’m on Enbrel injections once a week..an Methotrexate 112.5mg ,I’m vegetarian 41 years , 20 yrs RA, now Osteoarthritis,and also now fibre depleted. Am taking A supplement ‘ Insulin’ from Health shop I week.

Iv not ask anyone if ok yet.. but may do.🙋‍♀️💐

Saffey..

• Gadgetgirl
    Gadgetgirl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi . Have you heard of Chris Mortee. I think he believes there is a link. I am trying to find out if anyone has signed up to his programme and been successful

• lia
    lia Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi,

The Zoe nutrition site has a lot about gut health.

• lia
    lia Member Posts: 4
    edited 1. Mar 2024, 14:48
    Options

Hi,

The discussion that Poppyjane (above) referred to mentions Prof. Dr. Tim Spector. Zoe.com site is his site.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.