Double Dose. Can it lead to spike in Uric Acid?

Options
BillyH60
BillyH60 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

It's my first post. I'm just 60 this year. I've had years of previously undiagnosed flare ups around knee, ankle and feet. (Hot, red, painful, debilitating - you know).

Pain turns to sore - then disappears as if nothing ever happened - back to golf, walking, swimming.

Earlier this year I got to see consultant rheumatologist and he diagnosed gout and I started on 100 mils of Allopurinol and 2 x 20mg of Colcichine in Feb. Got to say there has been no significant flare ups since (until now!)

After a recent blood test I was told that Uric Acid was still a little too high and (despite not having any flare up) I might switch up to 200 mil of Allopurinol and 1 x Colcichine - 2 weeks ago.

(I've been doing a lot of 'other than muscular' pain-free walking in last couple of months in prep for a charity 60km walk I completed last Saturday. Other than blisters and natural fatigue I felt great by Monday. Monday evening/night pain in Knee at patella tendon. Tuesday limping, today (Wednesday) agony bending my knee and then straightening it.

I don't believe it's the walk - it's the gout!

Does anyone believe a higher dose of Allo will have brough this about?

Should I have a couple of days of Naproxen?

I know I should (try) to speak to the doc(s).

Comments

• Shirley23
    Shirley23 Moderator Posts: 25
    edited 23. Aug 2023, 12:56
    Options

Hello  @BillyH60 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience.

I understand that you were diagnosed with Gout by a consultant rheumatologist earlier this year and started on Allopurinol and Colchicine. I am sorry to hear about the flare-up in your knee this week but I am glad that you managed to complete the charity walk last Saturday.

Unfortunately, we are not medically qualified to advise whether the change in dosage of Allopurinol has aggravated your symptoms. We are also unable to advise you to take Naproxen. It sounds as if you need to go back to your GP to review dosage of medications and talk through treatment options.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with Arthritis forum which is a supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others facing similar challenges.

I hope the information given below will be of some help. 

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

Best wishes,

Shirley23 (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm