turmeric

Options

Hi does anyone know of a good supplier for turmeric and black pepper, does it work? what is the correct dosage

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 280
    Options

Morning @Lizzylid I did try tumeric for a short while but kept forgetting to add into food.

My friends recommended it to me who swear by it ??

I always use black peppar and usualyy purchase from local supermarkets.

The following link maybe of help.....

Take care @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options

To be fair I've tried most things over the years which are

a) cheap enough

and

b) not going to affect another medication.

But not turmeric/black pepper.

I have always bought my stuff from a place I feel safest. Like the one on the High street known for stuff like this Holland and Barratt's. I don't trust stuff bought online , but that is just me!

Best of luck

Toni x

• veryaraf
    veryaraf Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi, I get mine from mad diet, a Scottish thing on line. Worth investigating. No unnecessary additives and it is organic and 60 capsules in a pkt. Don’t know whether it works but still taking it. Just Google mad diet. She has written a book about the why’s and what ‘s of food and diet. I don’t eat a lot of greens so buy the seaweed extract to compensate. Hope this info is helpful?

• Lisadiz
    Lisadiz Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi there, I took turmeric extract capsules ( not the cheap ones ) for over a year. People asked could I tell the difference ? For me... no. My arthritis was getting worse in time so I stopped buy them. If you can afford to, give them a try , could work for you :)

Kind regards

• SteveC700
    SteveC700 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I used to use powdered Turmeric with black pepper and lemon which worked fine, however, it really does stain if you spill any powder and I have ended up in the dog house on numerous occasions!!! I have now switched to Turmeric capsules from "Nutritian Geeks" online and they seem to be doing the trick. Have only been trying them for 1 and half weeks. Will keep posting results if it helps.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 981
    Options

Hi @SteveC700 and a quick but warm welcome to the online community,

Thanks for jumping straight in with some great advice and suggestions about where to buy turmeric and black pepper - it does seem to be effective for some people so it will be interesting to hear how you get on with the capsules.

As a previous poster said, you do have to be careful with some online shops, so a bit of research of the company and looking at reviews of their products before you buy is really important.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 399
    Options

The active anti-inflammatory substance in Turmeric is Curcumin, thing is Turmeric iteelf contains very little which is why it is often sold on it's own of preferably in combo with black pepper or peperine which allows the body to absorb it more easily. Does it work? Well, there is a lot of online evidence to support its efficacy (as there is for Boswellia and Montmorency Cherry) but whilst it is known to reduce inflammation that doesn't necessarily mean it will act as a painkiller. There are a lot of brands to choose from on the market with the most expensive and effective being in liquid form, it's an expensive way to experiment and find out whether it will make any difference or not.

Here's a guide which may help:

Best,

jon

• trixie001
    trixie001 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Jon, have you found a liquid form of curcumin?

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 399
    Options

Yes @trixie001, Truth Origins based in the UK sell a full spectrum liquid product online which they combine with vits B12, D3 and Biotin plus black pepper and green tea to help absorption. With this one you mix it with any drink.

The only downside is the price (circa £40 per month on a plan), but it will outperform any powder variant for sure.

• mosborn11
    mosborn11 Member Posts: 32
    Options

I've read that taking too much Turmeric can be very harsh on your stomach and can contribute to longer term tummy problems like ulcers. The advice I've recieved is not to take the tablet versions of turmeric because it's such crazy high proportions, but instead to add it to food because this will be in more moderate amounts that your stomach can handle xx

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

I've been taking turmeric, and other supplements for years, but I always take them after eating. In fact, unless expressly told not to, I take all pills after/with food.

• trixie001
    trixie001 Member Posts: 4
    Options

My tummy is VERY sensitive to NSAIDs and the such so I am wondering how I would do with this. I also read that it can potentially cause liver damage. I'm not sure how true that is?

• mosborn11
    mosborn11 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Yeah from what various docs have told me, it's fine to eat lots of tumeric in food and tea, as you'll never eat as much is as in these capsules anyway! It's only because they've got such high concentrate of tumeric in the capsules that it's a problem, but it does depend on the brand because they all contain different amounts. I think its one of those things that isn't regulated so people's experiences with capsules will vary wildely on what brand and type they're buying etc

• Robson
    Robson Member Posts: 1
    edited 5. Mar 2024, 06:12
    Options

I’ve done a lot of research on this and the most effective seems to be to make tumeric paste which you then stir into a drink. One teaspoon a day is recommended. The evidence is that this seems a lot more effective than capsules although it is a bit fiddly to male . Keeps in the fridge for up to a month. Companies which make capsules are selling you a product and absorption rates are nowhere as good as actual powder.

{Apologies for removing this link Robson, but links to specific sites selling products is against our terms and conditions Your advice is however very welcome and supportive.

Ellen - Moderator}

• Splodge
    Splodge Member Posts: 14
    Options

From everything I've read and heard, turmeric doesn't seem to have any evidence behind it - I guess that's because it's impossible to measure any effectiveness, depending as it does on severity of condition and flares and whether one takes drugs for it, what type of drugs, etc. etc. Therefore, lack of proper trials. Plus, dosage of turmeric etc. might vary. Some say it helps, but there are so many potential confounding factors - plus placebo - that I'm loathe to contribute to Holland & Barrett's profits, myself. Just my thoughts anyway.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hi

Try the following articles

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2022/april/all-about-turmeric/ and https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/turmeric/

Turmeric is of course available from many shops/sources and works for some people. Anything that helps is worth thinking about.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Turmeric is available from many shops - the link in the article signposts to Amazon, but shop around if you want to get some.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.