Osteo arthritis knee

I have just been diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my knee as well as already having it in my hands. What I want to know is how can you convince people who have a disability? I am in constant pain but fight through it as I am so used to having it now. But people look at me as if I am at it, which really hurts. This gets me down constantly as well as the severe pain.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 723

Hi @jacquim1172

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have OA in your hands and more recently also in your knee which is causing significant and regular pain. Not everyone you come into contact has been sympathetic or understanding of your situation. You’d like to hear from any forum members who have been a similar position and how they handled it.

Whilst you await some feedback you may find these articles of interest:

I hope you receive some valuable input. Please do join in with as many existing discussions as you feel appropriate and perhaps start your own discussion thread if you wish.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 368

Morning @jacquim1172

Totally agree "invisible disablilty"

We look normal and fit but pain horrendous inside.

Justifying yourself to people is frustrating unless going through similar condition so hard to express.

Friend said to me why do you feel you have to justify yourself ?

I then thought exactly why should I !

So I have stopped and just look after myself the best I can.

Take care @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Thank you, its good to know that I am not alone and I can get help from this community as it is so frustrating trying to tell someone how much pain you are in. Like you Naomi i'm going to try and think of myself instead of what everyone else thinks. x

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 478

We have some good listeners @jacquim1172 if you want to tell us about your pain. Its not easy but some pain can be solved if we listen to it for long enough.

Once I have some answers I like sharing my pain conquests with well people. We sure own some bragging rights.

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 92

Hi @jacquim1172 . I understand what you mean regarding people looking at you as if you are putting it on. I am 47 and often have looks when parking in disabled bays, or using disabled toilets. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I prepare myself for any looks or comments I may have. The vast majority of people are still ignorant to hidden disabilities. It is not your job to convince anyone that you have a disability. Be positive and be proud of yourself for dealing with the constant pain. I often talk to friends and family regarding hidden disabilities as it raises public awareness. Hope this helps