Osteoarthritis of knees - how do i move on and I need to work?

Options
Jged
Jged Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi all. This is my first post. I have overdone the walking and running and a squat that I did in the past 2 weeks did not feel good.

To be honest I am pretty down with my condition as my knees are buckling and clicking and after 2 full days of using ice packs I did see some improvement but yesterday did not use any packs as I felt as though I was improving but now I feel like I am back to square one. The doctor has booked me in for an x-ray to check my knees. I am hoping that this flare up will go away soon as I need to get out working (I have 3 children at uni from this September and October and can't even help move them into accommodation).

I carry out surveys and have lots of jobs booked in but this means standing for hours on end. Is there a knee brace at least that would stop the buckling of the knee? Are there supplements that could help? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,637
    Options

Hi @Jged

Welcome to the online community.

I see from your post that you have Osteoarthritis on the knees and are understandably struggling to work. Your work sounds as though you need to be standing which must be very difficult if your knees keep buckling.

I am very glad to see your GP is organising an X-ray for you.

In the meantime these two link might be of use for you:

and

Some of our members do use braces yes. Hopefully someone will be along soon to share their experience with you.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Welcome @Jged@Jged,

There are lots of knee supports you can try to aid with stability. During the time I was running with OA in both knees I would use a fairly sturdy one with velcro straps and a cut out for the kneecap. Try visiting a pharmacy with a consultation room you can try a few on for size and comfort. I use a gel called FlexiSeq on my knees to reduce crunching, grinding and clicking. It's expensive but can be bought cheaper online if you get on with it.

There is a lot of information about supplements on this website, it's a case of trial and error to find ones which work for you. I would focus on the ones with proven results, such as Turmeric and Boswellia, both of which are good anti-inflammatories. Diet can also help - any dark green leafy veg, onions, garlic and olives plus Omega 3 rich foods will also help with inflammation. If you've been formally diagnosed then chances are your GP has prescribed an NSAID and something like Omeprazole to protect the stomach lining. Co-Codemol can help with pain relief and can be bought in pharmacies if your GP won't prescribe.

For stiffness, wheat bags or a hot water bottle is good, as is a deep tissue massaging gun to run up and down the backs of your legs and on tendons.

Hope some of these help.

Jon

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 114
    Options

Good advice from Jon. A lot of it is trial and error. Do try to keep moving though. It really does make a difference, but maybe squats aren't great for the knees if they're playing up. Try some resistance training as an alternative - plenty of ideas on line.