Newbie, recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis.

Options
Pipes
Pipes Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Good afternoon all from sunny Cornwall. I’m 55 and have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the spine, shoulders, foot and thumbs, as well as rotator cuff degeneration in both shoulders. I’m generally a very positive person, trying to find the best in everything but some days, the pain and not being able to do what I could just a few months ago, sometimes gets me down. I try and walk every day and I’ve taken up Pilates to build my muscles and to keep me as active as possible. I’m very fortunate to have such a supportive husband (even though he does tell me off at times for doing too much) I learnt to swim 4 years ago (bit of a late starter!) and regularly swam a mile and a quarter 3 times a week. Sadly, the pain in my shoulders is so intense now, that I’m not able to do this, but I can still have a more gentle pool workout, just to get back into the water. I also used to knit, a lot, but this also causes extreme pain in my rotator cuff. So I now focus on the walking, reading and the odd crossword thrown in.

It’s good to be part of a community with people who know what it’s like to live with osteoarthritis, it makes me feel that I’m not alone. 😁 Take care all x

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 798
    edited 8. Sep 2023, 13:42
    Options

Hi @Pipes

Welcome to the online community,so good you have found us.

You write that you have just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of spine shoulders thumb and foot and have rotater cuff degeneration,also that you are in pain with your shoulders when doing activitys so just do mild exercises especially in the swimming pool.you use to swim and knit but owing to pain you have had to give these up.

It is good you have a supporting husband and you will get support on the forums aswell when you start chatting.

Here is a link that may help with the pain,please let us know how you get on and do go on line and start chatting.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm