A couple of questions?

Options

I have osteoarthritis and have been in a bit of pain today with my left knee, this evening I have been getting numbness in the calf of the same leg? Not the whole calf just at the bottom above the ankle. My second question is that my hips are quite painful and when they are like this I seem to need to go for a wee more often, it's almost like my hips are swollen and pressing on my bladder! I don't know if it's a thing or if I'm imagining it 🤔.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Daphne

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are so sorry to hear that you have been in pain.

Although we are not medically trained on the Helpline if someone is experiencing numbness and often tingling then it could be a nerve that becomes pinched when the muscles, bones or tissues surrounding it apply too much pressure, our advice would be to try to speak to your GP about this possibly a referral to see a physiotherapist for some structured stretching exercises may help with this but seeking medical advice first is always best.

Often with arthritis of the hips a person can experience referred or radiated pain and is common, you may feel pain in the groin, down the front of the leg and in the knee. We are unsure if the symptoms you are experiencing are connected, again it is important to speak to you GP.

Treatments such as heat and ice can help with pain and swelling, heat can be in a form of a hot water bottle, wheat pack or having a warm shower. Ice can help with pain and swelling so that can be a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a damp tea-towel.  

We hope that you can get an appointment with your GP and get the answers to your questions very soon.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor