Severe spinal stenosis and OA

Options

Hi, feeling sorry for myself today. I'm retiring nearly 3 years before my state pension due to my condition so will have to use a huge amount of money to pay my way from my savings and lump sum. I've recently started having a lot of pain in my left thigh and groin too and waiting for hip x ray. I live in a tidy semi house but think I should now look for a bungalow due to the multiple arthritic joints and spine that will need operating on. I can only afford a one bedroom bungalow. I'm feeling sad and alone. I can't afford maintaining my home for the coming years and I'll need a stairlift, walk-in shower and I have no toilet downstairs. I also live up a big hill and have no close friends and 2 sons who live miles away, but everyone has their own lives to live. I do have a cavapoo though who gives me a purpose in life.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 290
    edited 9. Sep 2023, 16:59
    Options

Sorry you are struggling maybe you can seek some financial support and assistance from your local council?

I was given support from the Welfare Rights Team maybe worth contacting your local authority to see what is available for you ?

Also maybe the following link may help

Take care @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Bettyboo22
    Bettyboo22 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi @Sallyanne2022

The helpline will respond on Monday but in the meantime I just wanted to reach out and say "you are not alone, because you are part of this community". Sorry you are having a tough time, I saw this and thought it might be helpful Your home | Tips, aids, pillows and adaptations | Versus Arthritis as it mentions what support you can get.

I'm pleased you have company and your dog gives you purpose and hopefully gives you a reason to keep moving despite the pain. Dogs are incredible 🐶

xx

• Daphne
    Daphne Member Posts: 27
    Options

I'm so sorry you are feeling like this 😔 please don't think you are alone we are all here for you, I was so low a few years ago that I tried to end it all and I would hate anyone else to feel so lonely. Your little dog sounds like a sweety I have a greyhound who I adopted a few years ago and he is my best friend. Please message anytime you need to chat, you are not alone xxx

• Sallyanne2022
    Options

I'm feeling stressed due to waiting to hear whether I can leave work on medical grounds plus I'm waiting to hear from PIP who refused me last time but when I complained they reinstated it so not sure what the outcome will be. I think because I am now experiencing hip pain on top of everything else it has got me down. However, better sleep last night and a chat on the phone with my son has cleared my head a little. Still not sure what to do about moving but will hold on before putting my home up for sale until I know what the money situation is from work and PIP. Greyhounds are so sweet and gentle 😊 Thank you for replying and hope you aren't in too much pain today. xx

• Sallyanne2022
    Options

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Sallyanne2022

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are so sorry to hear that you have been feeling low recently, as others have said you are not alone, we will do our best to support you at this challenging time.

If it would help to talk to us on our Helpline, please do not hesitate to call us on our free phone number 0800 5200 520, we are available Monday - Friday from 9am - 6pm.

The pain that you are experiencing in the groin and thigh is called referred or radiated pain which unfortunately is a common symptom with people with Osteoarthritis (OA) of the hips. Managing the condition with certain self-help treatment can help such as heat and ice treatment can help with pain and swelling, heat can be in a form of a hot water bottle, wheat pack or having a warm shower. Ice can help with pain and swelling so that can be a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a damp tea-towel. 

It may be worth speaking to your doctor about Capsaicin cream, which is a drug free complementary treatment, which is recommended for osteoarthritis and has been given a score of 5/5 for effectiveness for this condition, it is only available on prescription from your GP. When applied in the form of a cream it is thought to provide pain relief by temporarily changing the way our body process pain which works by reducing Substance P, a pain transmitter in your nerves. If you were to get the cream, it would need to be applied four times a day and allowed to build up into the system for at least 2 weeks.

We are sorry to hear that your home isn't adaptable for your condition, it may be worth contacting Adult social care and ask for an assessment to be carried out by an Occupational therapist for your home. If they consider that the adaptions are necessary and appropriate, they will pass on a recommendation to your local authority grants department so that you will be able to continue living in your home if you do not want to move house.

Really pleased that you had a better night sleep and your dog sounds so adorable they can bring so much joy to our life's. We are here if you need us in the future and hope that things start to get better for you soon.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Sallyanne2022
    Options

Thank you, Chris, so much for your very helpful response. One thing I have tried in the past before my left knee replacement was Capsaicin cream but it caused my skin to be sore and when in the shower I couldn't stop coughing due to the strong smell and vapours! Ha-ha!

Is a grant available if I have savings, would you know please?

I started using my walking poles yesterday and this morning and have had less pain during the day so I think they are helping me. I took 2 halves of a 15mg codeine tablet and had severe stomach cramps for up to 30 minutes despite taking Buscopan. I'm not going to take them again. I thought I'd be okay on such a low dose.

Yes, Toby is a little treasure but cheeky with it 🤣 Head on my

lap at the moment having a sleep.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Sallyanne2022

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, it is such a shame the capsaicin had that effect on you, I'm sorry to hear that, unfortunately what can work for one person may not work for another. Another one that you may want to try is Flexiseq, this you can buy over the counter, it is also a drug free complementary treatment which can treat Osteoarthritis particularly the knee, I have added some information below.

Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure about what happens when applying for grant if you have savings the best people to talk to would be the Citizens Advice. If you also contact your local council for an assessment through them, you could be entitled for aids and adaptations up to a certain amount. I have attached a link to the Gov.UK Disabled Facilities Grant so hopefully that will help to answer your question.

Really pleased that the walking poles helped and that you were able to get about.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Sallyanne2022
    Options

Thank you Chris x