Arthritic Flare Up

Options
B3thjack
B3thjack Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I have had arthritis for most of my life as I have Stickler Syndrome but 2 weeks ago my hand ballooned and was so painful I was convinced I had broken something but the doctors diagnosed an arthritic flare up something I’ve never had before. I am used to pain and have had 2 hip replacements a knee replacement and am awaiting as second knee replacement but this pain in my hand was so debilitating it was so hard to do the things I normally do everyday. I don’t really want to use NSAID’s and am hoping there is a more natural solution out there.

There is a lot on this site about excercise but honestly it’s just too painful to even think of that!! Am I being a wimp?

Kim

t

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hi @B3thjack and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have had a flare-up but don't want to use NSAIDs and looking for other methods of pain relief. Yes you are right in that people mention exercise, but this does not necessarily mean a trip to the gym. Versus Arthritis have commissioned a number of exercise videos such as Lets Move with Leon and some YouTube videos and some that can be done for different levels, take a look at the link below

also have a look at the following

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• B3thjack
    B3thjack Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks Peter the flare up had begun to calm down after a fortnight and I did some cleaning (carefully I thought but obviously not careful enough)and it’s slightly swollen and painful again so I am hoping it will improve. I will try and do some exercise but it seems mad when the joint is painful.