Wrist fusion

Options
uttley2023
uttley2023 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I'm contemplating wrist fusion surgery and would be interested in any experiences of others who have had the procedure. Does it remove the pain? What things are difficult to do after surgery? Anything else that would help me decide whether or not to proceed

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @philuttley and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you contemplating the fusion surgery. I am sure that others who have had this will connect with you but in the meantime have a look at the following from our website.

You might also be interested in the following:

YouTube Versus Arthritis video hand and wrist exercises

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Hi,

My wrists are fused but it was a DIY job. RA, OA and time did it for me. I have no pain in them now but can't really help on the what can/can't you do front as arthritis in virtually all othed joints means I can't do many things that others can. My ankles also fused themselves: no pzin there either. What were you hoping to do ? I guess your surgeon would be the best guy to ask.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • uttley2023
    Options

Thanks - I was hoping to be able to do everything I can at present but with no pain but I understand fusion will restrict movement to some degree. My surgeon was less than helpful on this - he said that it's different for everybody :(