Swimming to success.

Options
JC1978
JC1978 Member Posts: 21

My Rheumatologist told me that my medications are going to be more effective if I lose a bit of weight.

Since the end of June I've been working on my diet and since mid July I've been swimming regularly 3-4 times a week and going to aqua-fit. I've lost nearly a stone and a half and have noticed I have more energy. I still get fatigued but feel like I've earned a nap after swimming. My joints are the best they've been in a long time but I don't know if that's because I've been on steroids to help with a flare or if it's the swimming or a bit of both - I like to think the swimming has helped. I went from swimming 20 lengths in 60 minutes to 40 lengths. Sometimes I have a double session and swim 60-80 lengths. The most I did was 100 but I had a four-hour afternoon nap after. My tips would be to buy the biggest fluffiest towel you can and don't be afraid to take your time getting dry. (I sometimes sit in my towel for a good 20 mins looking at my phone before getting dressed). Invest in some good swimming shampoo that gets rid of chlorine. Have a nice warm shower when you get out of the pool. Invest in some prescription goggles if you are short-sighted. And invest in some earplugs to prevent water getting in your ears. (Swimmers ear IS a thing, and it can be blooming painful - and I guess some arthritis meds can make you more prone - I bought ear plugs and no problems since). Ask your gp if you can get exercise on prescription - I got my membership at a reduced price due to an exercise prescription.

My mum and I have a weigh-in every week and are accountable to each other, which really helps.

Comments