Newbie, worried about everything

Options
Lady_Jai66
Lady_Jai66 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I've found you through the NHS website and I'm hoping to hear of other people's experiences on being diagnosed and things to check with my GP.

Long story short, I've got problems with my back already, a bulging disc and nerve damage. Just after Christmas 22 I noticed my hip was hurting whenever I walked anywhere or moved suddenly, even when I was sat down. Mentioned it to my GP saying the painkillers I'm taking (paracetamol and Codene) just aren't working any more, he said just keep going with them for a bit longer and see how it goes. It didn't get any better at, it got worse, I can barely move with the pain, and it's just making my life unbearable, especially since the pharmacist cut down on the Codene,.

I had a fall in the bathroom at home about 3 weeks ago and since then my knee pain has been constant, my hip pain is constant and I have pain in my shoulders and right thumb.

Totally had enough of it yesterday and finally got a doctor's appointment. He checked both my knees, and told me to book an X ray at City Hospital. He was certain I hadn't broken my knee cap which was something I was worried about.

Did a bit of googling tonight about X rays for arthritis and it led me here.

So, I'd just really like to know if anyone else was diagnosed this way and what happened. I've got anxiety as we, and all this really doesn't help me.

Thanks for reading and hope to talk to some of you soon.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @Lady_Jai66 and welcome to the online community,

I'm so glad that you found us through the NHS website - all our members live with arthritis and are a supportive and helpful group who are keen to share their experiences.

I understand that you're feeling anxious about a possible diagnosis of arthritis, especially when you find that your pain is increasing. An x-ray is often the first step in diagnosis so it sounds like your GP has started you on the right path. You might find the information below useful to read - it's been written for those who, like you, are waiting for a diagnosis or who have already been given one.

Pain can be the most challenging aspect of arthritis, but there are things you can do about it, including going back to your GP to discuss other forms of medication that might be more effective. It could be that your GP wants to wait to hear your diagnosis before prescribing anything new, so it might be worth reading the information below about how you can manage your pain:

Do let us know how you're getting on.

Anna (Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm