New here. Having RA and being a carer.

Options
Jerseysteph
Jerseysteph Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with RA just over 12 months ago. I was just coming to terms with it and how my life would change when, 9 months ago, my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 (since upgraded to stage4) oesophageal cancer. My daily struggles have taken a back seat as I am full time carer for my husband, but my meds are still not right (I only started methotrexate 18 weeks ago) and I’m in daily pain. I don’t really know where to turn.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Jerseysteph ,welcome to the online community,

We are a support group for anyone affected by living with arthritis and I am glad you found us to turn to. We are here to support you whilst you come to terms with your RA diagnosis, your daily pain and the myriad of responsibilities you have caring for your husband.

Methotrexate does take time to start taking affect but you might want to phone your RA nurse or GP to talk about that and other forms of medication to help with your daily pain. I attach some information which I hope will be helpful

Please do get back to us with any questions you may have, meanwhile I hope our members will join me in extending our best wishes to you and your husband.

Take special care of yourself

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi jerseysteph. Sorry that you are going through this terrible time. Do you think with all this stress you might be having a flair up?

Sometimes I think stress can be a factor. Have you got a rheumatology nurse you could contact? Maybe you need a course of steroids to bring the pain under control. I started on Mex in May, but was given a longer lower dose of steroids, to help with the transition. I am reducing my steroids by 1 mg each month. Good luck with everything, and take care.