Hello fellow troopers! Thanks for having me 🙂

Options
EHS
EHS Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi! Just found your site after seeing your Walk to World campaign - what a wonderful idea/cause.

I have suffered from right hip pain for about 8 years. Was diagnosed with OA 4 years ago and had a total hip replacement last April at 49 years. Can recommend replacement, total game changer!

Euphoria of new life dampened a couple of months later by discovering that the pain in my left hip wasn’t due to overcompensating on that side for so long but that I now have OA in the left hip.

I have just had 4 weeks of physio where my flexibility has improved but pain still exactly the same (can’t walk up stairs without using bannister, need a stick for walking more than 20 mins) etc. He has signed me off saying I ‘just need to live with the pain’. Er, gee, thanks.

I am a long time user (not ideal) of Naproxen (and Omeprazole)

Podiatrist found my operated on leg is 1cm shorter and now have lift in shoe which helps to keep me more level and less ‘weeble-y’ (if anyone old enough to remember them)

I think what brings me here today is that I saw a video of me walking yesterday - and I was horrified. I thought I was walking normally but I seem to swing my leg out instead of stride, if you know what I mean (it did not look good!)

Similarly, when I walk I feel like I’ve forgotten how to walk properly - as in my ankles and/or shins hurt, like I’m not placing my feet or striding correctly?

So I guess I’m looking for any advice anyone might be able to give (if you’ve managed to reach the end of my waffling)

Thanks for listening 😊

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @EHS and welcome to the online community

Don't apologise for waffling! Thank you for sharing your story and describing your journey with OA.

I can imagine seeing your walking video was a shock but hopefully it will lead to an improvement in your gait and a reduction in pain in your left hip. We are all being encouraged to exercise to keep our muscles and joints as flexible as possible and I wondered if you have come across the VA exercise and stretching videos. many of our members have found them fun and useful towards pain management. Have you considered swimming or hydrotherapy sessions, they can be very beneficial forms of exercise because they take the weight and pressure off the affected joints whilst stimulating your whole body.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2021/june/is-swimming-and-exercising-in-water-good-for-people-with-arthritis/

If you sign up for the Walk to World Arthritis Day , good luck . It is a great feeling to be part of this marvellous, supportive community and raise funds as well.. Do let us know how you get on , we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.