Advanced Clinical Practitioner Appointment

Options
Quantam
Quantam Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello,

Pleased to meet you all I am new to this site and have recently received a radiographer report on both of my knees which is pretty depressing. Following the report I have been given a telephone appointment with an advanced clinical practitioner and to prepare was instructed to watch a video about total knee replacements.

Has anybody had a telephone interview like this as I would like advice on how best to prepare for it!

Best regards!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @Quantam

I think from your post that you have osteoarthritis in both knees? You are about to have a telephone consultation with an advanced clinical practitioner. Terminology changes quite frequently, but I think this means a person qualified in the field of musculoskeletal health.

I tried to get some information and found this:

This is worth a read:

watching that video is also preparation for the appointment and a quick search gave me these threads on the subject of knee surgery:

Many of the members posting are still around and will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

My own advice is to write a list of any questions you might have.

Best wishes and do keep posting this is an incredibly supportive community.

Ellen.

• Quantam
    edited 19. Sep 2023, 11:43
    Options

Many thanks for your help Ellen!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Hi @Quantam ( love the username by the way)

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum too.

I agree with Ellen you actually sound pretty well prepared for your telephone consultation.

I did a quick google and am still a bit in the dark about who and advanced clinical practitioner could be. My guess is not an orthopaedic consultant, but someone experienced in 'bones' like a senior physiotherapist. I hope you'll come on and tell us after the consultation.

Best of luck and yes make notes write down any questions you have. The last thing you want is to think of something afterwards.

Toni

• Quantam
    Options

Hi Toni, thanks for your insight, I will certainly reply to all with the structure and outcome of the telephone consultation

Best regards!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Thanks😊

and🤞for you

Toni

• Quantam
    Options

Hi all,

I had a constructive telephone conversation with the Advanced Practitioner, they started the call with what would you like us to do for you!

I was offered the option of knee replacements in both knees but as I am only 58 did not want to have it done again before I die.

I have opted to be referred to the physiotherapist to see if there are any ways of strengthening the muscles, ligaments around my knees to make me feel more comfortable!

I have a healthy BMI but it is near the top end of healthy so I am currently trying to shift a few kilos to reduce the downforce on them.

I am also joining a gym to put in place any advice the physio can give me!

Best wishes and thanks for all the advice

Regards