Helloooooo

Options
DaftyD
DaftyD Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone I hope your all good,so iv just joined the site tonight,i suffer from osteoarthritis in both my hips and right knee,it’s been very hard coming to terms with this debilitating disease,I used to be a very very keen cyclist competing at a very high level,I could go out and cycle a hundred miles a day,untill last year when I was first diagnosed,now I cannot cycle five Mile,it’s been so hard coming to terms with this!,im still working but this is now a struggle too,am waiting to see a consult to get a right hip replacement as that’s my worst joint,that’s my story thank you.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hellooooo to you to @DaftyD

Welcome to the online community. You are sure of plenty of support here.

I see from your post that you have Osteoarthritis (OA) in both hips and right knee. You write that have gone from cycling 100's of miles a day to not being able to manage 5. I can see that would be very dispiriting for you. I hope your orthopaedic appointment comes through very soon.

Have you seen our exercises for healthy joints?

I am presuming you have already read up about Osteoarthritis, but just in case amd going to pop this here:

I hope you'll continue to post.

My best wishes

Ellen.

• WindMystic
    Options

Hi @DaftyD

I’ve recently joined too. Your post resonated with me as although I wasn’t competing, up until fairly recently I was a keen cyclist and also dabbled in triathlon. I’ve been floored by an initial diagnosis of severe facet joint degeneration and the pain and stiffness that goes with it. So I can completely understand how difficult this is for you. Not to say it’s not difficult for everyone but I know it’s a huge mental shift from being super active to feeling like a walk around the block is a struggle some days. I think you’ll find this a very supportive community. Wishing you all the best.

WindMystic

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @DaftyD and @WindMystic,

I think Arthritis is especally tough on sufferers who were or are keen sportspeople, it's not just the fact they find it difficult to do the activities they enjoy but it's the mental hit as well so a double-whammy.

I don't wish to patronise either of you in any way but if you've not been advised on how best to manage your condition so you can get a better quality of life then everything you need is on this website. In summary, it's a mixture of effective pain relief, physio and exercise - they go hand in hand together.

In my case, I'm 56 with severe bone-on-bone OA in both knees and on the waiting list for double total knee replacement but through what I've learned on this website coupled with a lot of experimentation I'm in a much better place than I was when first diagnosed in June last year, despite my condition worsening. Back then I could hardly walk down the stairs to make a cuppa in the morning. Fast forward to March this year and I hiked up to the top of Pen y Fan, the highest mountain in South Wales. I've had to give up the Running and Badminton I used to love but now do Spin classes, Swimming, cycle at weekends and top that up with gym sessions and walks.

So - there is definitely hope although it may not feel like it at the moment and a lot is down to us because there's only so much health professionals can do.

Good luck

Jon

• DaftyD
    Options

Hello Jon and guys thanks for the kind words,I have a peloton exercise bike which I spin on for half hour a day it does help thanks

• DaftyD
    Options

It’s really hard going from being really fit too not even being able to walk round Asda,we are in the same boat yeah?.

• WindMystic
    Options

Thanks Jon. Really encouraging to hear your progress a year on.