any good results from taking supplements for arthritis? I do.

Options
DavidC
DavidC Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi there,

I would like to discuss with persons who have some good results from taking supplements for arthritis inflammation and pain. I personally do have some good results from taking some supplements. Maybe together we can find out some real good results.

Thank you for discussing and sharing.

David

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @DavidC and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been taking supplements and that they have worked for you which is great news. Unfortunately what works for some doesn't work as well for others but stick with it. You don't say what has worked for you - maybe you could share so that others could try it, though please don't put links in to vendor's websites at this is not allowed on the Community.

You might find the following of interest from our website.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will swap their successes with you.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

HI @DavidC,

I've been experimenting with lots of different suppements since being diagnosed with severe OA in both knees a little over a year ago and as @noddingtonpete wrote, some work, some don't and some I found made my condition worse.

The ones I rate for inflammation are Boswellia and a Capsicum/Peperine blend, both in capsule form. I've also found eating Olives has a positive effect as well.

For pain relief, the list is narrower - CBD capsules are all I take.

Other than those, I take Beetroot, a mushroom blend, green tea all in capsule form and vitamin d tablets.

The ones which made my symptoms worse are all derived from fish, shellfish or animals, such as Glucosamine, Choindratin, Type 2 Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid and Pernatron. Given the majority of these are supposed to promote the growth of cartilage which is questonable given it has no blood supply so can't regenerate, I'm guessing it's because I have zero cartilage left that they either didn't work or made me feel a lot worse.

Be interesting to hear about what you've found workse for you.

Jon

• DavidC
    Options

Hi Jon,

I had a couple of steroid shots these 3 years on my thumb. The shots worked pretty well; however, I needed to go back for another one, 8 months, 6 months, and then 4 months. It got bad pretty quick. It is painful even when I turned on my car key. My hand surgeon from Penn said I might need a fusion surgery.

Fortunately, I have found some supplements that my pain and inflammation went away. At least I am good now instead of with swollen/painful thumbs/fingers 24 hours/7 days.

Mine has Boswellia as well, Vitamin D, Fish oil, and some other supplements.

Thank you very much for discussing and sharing.

David

• DavidC
    Options

Hi Jon,

Per "The ones which made my symptoms worse are all derived from fish, shellfish or animals, such as Glucosamine, Choindratin, Type 2 Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid and Pernatron.".

Could it because of Gaut due to shellfish, etc? Occasionally I have Gaut issue as well, and the supplements I am taking does not help. Currently I am taking a lot of supplements, and I would like to narrow down and try to figure out what supplements really work for me.

I like your mention of regrowth of cartilage, which is not the norm. During my last visit to my surgeon, I asked for an X ray for comparison, and my doctor watched it and said "No, I don't see cartilage grow up." Could it be my supplements are for inflammation and pain?

Thank you very much for your information.

David

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @DavidC,

Regarding the Steroid shots - I had 2 rounds in both knees, the first as successful, lasted a couple of month, the second had zero effect. Chatting to my Consultant he explained that efficacy is affected my how much cartilage there is to inject into and as my condition has deteriorated from "moderate" to "severe" that's the likely explanation. Could be the same in your case too.

As for supplements derived from fish and animals, I have no known allergies to any of the substances these are derived from but I did read a study done in the US where some of the participants for Glucosamine reported having the same symptoms as I experienced, and they weren't allergic either.

It really is a case of trial and error with these things I think because I've spoken with people who have very positive outcomes with these particular supplements. It's a bit like Acupuncture - it's made the biggest difference to my pain yet some others say it made them physically sick.

• Sandrab1
    Sandrab1 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi David I suffer with painful fingers and hands. How long did it take for you to see results with the supplements

• noddingtonpete
    Options

Hello @Sandrab1 and welcome to the Community. I hope that you experience the support and friendliness and can get something that helps you, but as said above supplements work for some but not others. For fingers and hands have you tried Capsaicin cream? Available on prescription and though there have been problems with supply I think it is improving. Have a look at the following from our website.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

• V00d00bantu31
    Options

Hello David / everyone I’m new to this group

I have taken supplements and they did not work for me .

I have had osteoarthritis for 23 years .

I have had knee replacements ( half in both knees ) now they are starting to cause pain again now I think the other sides of knees

has gone . At the moment I’m going through a flair up I can’t stand this pain ,my knee replacements were nether this painful. I don’t know if it spreads ?

just thought I would say hello to you all

Karen

• noddingtonpete
    Options

Hello @V00d00bantu31 and welcome to the Community as well. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Have a look at the following from our website and I hope that you will be able to get some relief soon.

and you could take a look at

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

• DavidC
    Options

Hi Jon,

I am sorry I am new to this site. I am not sure how to reply to you well. Can you see my post? Or should I message you. Live and learn. Haha

Gaut is another form of arthritis, not from allergy. And shellfish is good candidate for triggering Gaut. I had Gaut last month, and I don't think my supplements work for Gaut.

It took 3 months for these supplements for work for my arthritis thumb. It was in bad shape and I was very lucky. I don't take any medicine currently.

Thank you & Nice discussing with you.

David