Feet!

Options

Hi. Newbie here. I’ve had RA since 1999 and OA since 2006. My last set of tests show that the OA has spread from the lumbar region to all of my spine. I also have 5 herniated discs, Addisons, Hypothyroidism, Hypogonadism and a host of other problems. My pain is largely managed well with muscle relaxants and morphine but my big problem is my feet. I can hardly walk, the pain is intense and they are like blocks of ice. My toes burn at night and I try to self help for neuropathy but nothing is working. Has anyone else suffered with this and found a solution - if even marginal?

Cheers.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @KarlM and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that you get that experience as well.

I understand that you have both RA and OA and that along with all the other effects of these you are particularly having problems with your feet. I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences but in the meantime I've put a couple of links in below from our website which I hope will be of interest.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 714
    Options

Hi @KarlM

Since being diagnosed with PsA in 2020 I've suffered from my hands and feet being really cold. I've been wearing thermal socks even in summer. I've also had issues with pain in my toes and balls of my feet. Last year my rheumatologist said I had metatarsalgia. I was referred to a rheumatology podiatrist and given exercises - much like those @noddingtonpete has suggested - and suggestions for types of shoes. She suggested trainers with a carbon fibre insole but I can't find any in a wide fitting. I wear good quality walking shoes with vibram soles which give support but aren't too stiff.

I've had a particular issue for the last couple of months after taking a reaction to an MRI scan contrast agent injection where my toes were particularly sore and I felt like I was walking like a duck. I've been struggling to bear the weight of my duvet on them at night in bed. I had an appointment with my rheumatologist yesterday and explained this. She suggested a steroid injection to see if it helped and gave it to me. This morning my toes aren't bothering me and I can move them freely. I know it's not a long term solution but at least it's some respite.