Very good results from taking supplements for arthritis. Please join me.

Options
DavidC
DavidC Member Posts: 8
edited 25. Sep 2023, 09:18 in Living with arthritis

Hi there,

I like to discuss with persons who take supplements for arthritis inflammation and pain. I personally do have very good results from taking supplements and I don't take any medication currently.

I am taking a lot of different supplements, and I am trying to narrow down and find out what supplements really works. I would like to gather people's experience with supplements for arthritis, good or bad. What works for you, and what does not work for you! Maybe together we can figure out more about these good supplements. And hopefully more and more people will be pain free. Let's see how it goes.

I had a couple of steroid shots on my thumb these 3-4 years. The shots worked pretty well; however, I needed to go back for another one, 8 months, 6 months, and then 4 months. It got bad pretty quick, and it was a pretty painful and upset experience. It was painful even when I turned on my car key. My hand surgeon from Penn Medicine said I needed to have a fusion surgery.

Thank God, I am good for now.

Thank you for discussing and sharing.

David

Comments

• LeJJ
    LeJJ Member Posts: 3
    Options

I’m using, and have done for four years now, a high grade organic CBD oil.

I maintain a very strict anti inflammatory diet and take turmeric supplements.

I find stress is a big trigger for me, so also focusing on keeping calm and positivity in my life. I’m not always successful at this, but it does make a different.

• DavidC
    DavidC Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi LeJJ,

Many thanks for your sharing your information. My cocktail supplement list does not include CBD oil, but it does include turmeric. Hopefully there will be more people coming in for discussion and maybe we will get a good list of supplements very soon.

It is said "What work for you might not work for others." I have my own interpretation as "What work for you also might work for me." After all we are all human being and there are not that many differences. "Rat poison work for every human being even it is expired."

People help those who help themselves.

Thank you again.

David

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 27. Sep 2023, 19:28
    Options

I guess someone needs to voice an alternative view so I'll just, truthfully, saythat I've never had any benefit from supplements or herbal so-called remedies. I'm with Dara O'Briain(sp?) - the ones that work have been made into medicines and the rest are just a bowl of soup and pot pourri. Or words to that effect.

I have RA and OA. I take my DMARDS for the RA, eat and exercise sensibly and take pain relief when absolutely necessary. It works for me.

By the way, here is Versus Arthritis's comprehensive page on supplements.

https://versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options

Sadly nothing worked for me until I started on my DMARDs. I tried the usual...

I am vegan and do look after my gut microbiome and my teeth! Honestly it might be mad but I genuinely believe in the gut microbiome and gum/teeth health being relevant for inflammatory arthritises.

Where are you based David? Just being nosey. We have injections not shots which was the clue😊

Take care

Toni x

• hamilton10
    hamilton10 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Can anyone recommend an anti inflammatory diet, I can't find one on the internet and don't feel I know what I'm doing. Thanks all.

• Katherine
    Katherine Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi I'm just getting started and waiting diagnosis, I've been looking at different supplements.

I've always been an advocate that if your diets right you shouldn't need mass produced potions, however I'm looking at adding foods like tumeric and ginger more into my diet not sure what way I'll go yet

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options
  • LeJJ
    Options

I have a really good book, which was recommended to me by a Swedish lady on a flight, shortly after this illness made me very I’ll.

I’ll photograph it and attach an image later.

I’ve also been taking anti histamines twice daily for other issues . I’ve noticed my symptoms have become easier. But this could just be a coincidence?

• LeJJ
    Options

I have a really good book, which was recommended to me by a Swedish lady on a flight, shortly after this illness made me very I’ll.

I’ll photograph it and attach an image later.

I’ve also been taking anti histamines twice daily for other issues . I’ve noticed my symptoms have become easier. But this could just be a coincidence?