Drugs

Options

HI

Im interested to know on here about anyones dealings with methotroxate and whether or not they have coped wirh it.

Thankyou

Comments

• Hi @freejb74

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. You have posted about dealing with methotrexate.

Methotrexate is a Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) which can be given to people with autoimmune conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and lupus. They can treat the underlying cause of the condition and help to reduce inflammation to the joints.

Methotrexate are usually prescribed during a referral with a Rheumatologist consultant who will work with you to manage your condition. Methotrexate treats the symptoms of your condition and reduces the risk of uncontrolled inflammation causing long-term damage to your joints. It can take up to 12 weeks to start working and often a RA consultant may prescribe a short-term of steroids to help with the condition that will then be reduced once the treatment starts to work. It can be taken as a tablet, liquid or injection and comes in two strengths 2.5 mg and 10 mg.  There are side effects as there are with most drugs but hopefully these will not affect you.

We hope that others will be able to share their experiences in taking this treatment.

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 280
    Options

23 years on 20mg for me and maybe a handfull of times i felt a little nausius at first but never actually made me sick. apart from that no issues for me.

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

I'm on 25mg and apart from occasional feelings of slight nausea and fatigue the day after, no problems. The benefits far outweigh the downsides.

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options

I’ve been on methotrexate for a number of years.

Initially I was prescribed tablets but had problems with nausea so was switched to a weekly injection, which has been better.

I’ve found that increasing the amount of water I drink on the day after the injection seems to flush it out of my system more quickly and helps with the nausea.

It turned out that methotrexate on its own wasn’t enough to control my disease so a weekly biologic injection was added a few years ago and this combination of meds is working very well for me.