Looking for pain and stiffness relief

Binx
Binx Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Looking for good advice as pain medication does not work for me

Comments

• Hi @Binx

Welcome to our Online Community, thank you for taking the time to join us, we are a friendly group of people and hope that your experience with us will be helpful in the future.

Depending on what form of arthritis does depend on what is the best treatment for that condition, the two most common types is Rheumatoid (RA) and Osteoarthritis (OA). If pain medication isn't helping and you haven't already done this then a referral for physiotherapy may be helpful as it helps to build up the muscle in the joints and also helps with stiffness.

We would love to have some more information from you as to what type of arthritis you have and the area that it affects you.

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• Binx
    Binx Member Posts: 3

Degenerative osteoarthritus of the Spine with hip pain and knee pain. So stuff can hardly move☹️

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 418

Hi @Binx and welcome.

Many sufferers report positive results using non-prescribed alternatives, there are a lot of options out there and it's a case of experimenting to find what works best for you as we're all individuals.

There's some great info on the website about managing your condition citing a lot of things I'd never heard of previously.

In terms of natural painkillers I think your options are quite narrow though - you're probably looking at CBD in spray, gummies or capsule form and Olives believe it or not contain a substance very similar to Ibuprofen, so does Olive Oil. For anti-inflammatories, 2 supplements with proven results are Curcumin (usually blended with Pepper) and Boswellia.

Heated wheat bags I find are good for stiffness, as is a deep tissue massaging gun (you can buy these online at Amazon for example). My OA is in my knees and I like to smear on FlexiSeq Gel and Capsaicin Cream, both help reduce stiffness and the former is good for the reduction of crunching.

Some folks take up alternative treatments such as Tai Chi and Yoga, I see an Acupuncturist and for me it's made a world of difference, way less pain and flare-ups.

Hope some of these help

Jon