edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi have just been diagnosed with OA and pseudo gout in knees

never heard of pseudo gout does anyone have any info please

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Isla

Welcome to the Online Community, we are a friendly supportive bunch hope you have this experience.

Pseudogout is also known as acute Calcium pyrophosphate (CPP) crystal arthritis, here's some info:-

Hope it helps.

Best wishes

Louisa

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• drannmaria
    drannmaria Member Posts: 1
    edited 23. Feb 2024, 04:44
    Options

Hi, Isla -

I’ve had osteoarthritis for decades and was diagnosed with pseudogout a few years ago. It affects my knees and wrists mostly. One of my thumb joints was really bad but it was replaced a few years ago. My right knee was replaced several years before that. Since I’m president of a software company, it really sucks when I can’t use my hands, so I use speech to text software which is fine for sending emails but terrible for writing code . My doctors haven’t had much to offer other than pain medication, not using the affected joint and surgery when the pain gets too much.

I’m usually fine but every 3-4 months, I’ll have really bad flare up that sometimes ends up in the ER or doctor’s office and I spend the next week working from bed with my knee icing or with my hand in a brace.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @drannmaria welcome to the online community,

Thank you. It is great to have someone whose first post is a supportive and helpful response to another member. You are obviously well used to the vagaries of living with arthritis and to have an explanation of one uncommon form is always very helpful to the members.

Some of us use speech to text software when our condition necessitates it and are grateful for the technology that facilitates that. Heat and cold pads are used by many to give pain relief so our thanks again for highlighting these.

Do look round the community and join in with us again soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.