New starter.

Options
Sorehand
Sorehand Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I am new to this community,i have been struck by osteoarthritis which has become much much worse as i have got older.i am finding work really difficult,i have just had a trapeziectomy and now waiting for other thumb.i have arthritis everywhere ,i am now thinking retirement i am 64.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    edited 30. Sep 2023, 12:38
    Options

Hello @Sorehand

I understand that you have had trapeziectomy surgery and living with arthritis everywhere. Here some info Trapeziectomy information factsheet (versusarthritis.org)

I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support, but in the meantime have please view the following.

Your having problems with work maybe this info would help Employment and work | Versus Arthritis.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• JC1978
    JC1978 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi @Sorehand

I can't comment on your OA because I have a different kind of arthritis, but one thing I can identify with is pain, and having to work when you have pain , it's just nasty. I wish I could retire but I'm only 45 so have a few years left yet.

I take a hot water bottle to work with me. I have a rise and fall desk so I can stand up to work for a couple of minutes every hour. I told my employers about my diagnosis and they've been great. I go for a short walk to the other side of the building and back if I get too stiff and sore, and I applied for a blue badge this year, so I don't have to walk far to get to the building. I've tried compression gloves when typing but I didn't find them too helpful, some people say they're marvellous. I have a little wooden foot massager under my desk because I tend to get plantar fasciitis as part of my symptoms.

my tip for working at a desk is to make sure the desk and chair are set up correctly at the correct height and be prepared to alter them slightly throughout the day ( by a cm or so) just so that you're in a slightly different position. If mornings are hard talk to your employer to see if you can start later. Starting at 9am and 10am at the weekends really helped me . My worst time of day is first thing so it helps to have an extra hour to get going.

hope some of this is useful.

Jenny x