New here

Options
Rebecca85
Rebecca85 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I'm new here, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips and struggling a bit with pain, sleep and work. Hoping I can pick up some tips on how to cope with it all.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @Rebecca85 and welcome to the Community.

We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips and struggling a bit with pain.

I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support, but in the meantime have please view the following link.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 188
    Options

Hi@Rebecca85

sorry to hear that you are struggling with hip pain. I know how you feel as I too have recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both hips. I am assuming that now you have been diagnosed that your Doctor has prescribed you with painkillers as they certainly can help ease the aching/stiffness. Also, I was referred to my local MSK clinic and was given physio exercises to help strengthen the muscles in the surrounding area. It does take a while before you feel any benefit but they are worth doing. As for sleeping I have to sleep on my back but often wake in the night and find that getting up and walking about eases it a bit. I also use a walking stick now as it does give me more confidence when out and about. I cannot help with work as I am retired, but no doubt someone will come along on here to give you some helpful tips.

Take care🙂

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @Rebecca85

i sympathise with you entirely and I'm glad I retired last year. I could not have continued walking up and down three flights of stairs all day now.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis is both hips last December. I was given two sets of crutches in march post surgery for something else when the physio saw how much I was struggling and told me I must use them.

Saw a physio from MSK in April who was lovely. Told me not to do any exercises until she knew what she was dealing with as I was in so much pain.

I had an hour's worth of MRIs on my hips in August and subsequently told I also had gluteal tendinopathy on my worst side which was also causing its own level if pain

She referred me last month on the NHS to a private hospital for treatment and I have an appointment on the 25th of this month.

To top everything I have now been given a diagnosis of osteonecrosis on one wrist which means that I can no longer use crutches or a stick effectively . I can't get around very well and when I do I pay the price for trying. Physio gave me some exercises but I have to manage what I can do

The pain I have had this year is the worst I've ever experienced. I had two babies with no pain relief and this worse. I can't take anti inflammatories, paracetamol didn't touch it and I had to come off codeine and gabapentin as they stopped working. Tramadol was working but not enough on the maximum dose

I now have morphine patches which are the lowest dose. I could probably do with a higher one but think a bit of pain, and sometimes more than a bit of pain, reminds me not to overdo stuff. I top the patches with paracetamol and extra tramadol when I need to.

I boost this with hot and cold compresses and red tiger balm. I also take multivitamins.

I don't sleep very well. If at all. I've been a side sleeper all my life and the side I sleep on is the worst. I use pillows and cushions between my legs for support but these usually end up on the floor. I have been told not to sleep on my back as I also have bronchiectstasis.

I have applied to the Nuffield health joint care programme and waiting to hear from them but suspect I might have to postpone until I've seen the surgeons fir my hips and wrist

I feel as if I stuck in limbo so if you find a magic wand please share it. Thank heavens for grandchildren who keep me going!

Love n hugs

Trish xx