Recovery from hip replacement surgery

Options
Crafter0858
Crafter0858 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone

My name is Jan (65) and I am one week post Total hip replacement (27/09/23). This is following a diagnosis of severe degenerative OA in both hips. I had very little mobility before the operation and was only able to walk using crutches so very rarely even left the house.

Unfortunately because I still need the other hip doing it does make doing the exercises a little difficult but I am determined to do them and recover as quickly as possible so I can go ahead with the second operation.

My question is, other than the exercises given to me what else should I be doing? I am walking around the house (bungalow) with my crutches but other than that I sit and read/knit or watch TV and this seems a bit lazy! Admittedly I can’t do too much but any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jan

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @Crafter0858 welcome to the online community

One week since your first hip replacement and looking to the future for a second one. That is great to hear. Like many of us who have had a hip replacement the need to rest and wait for our bodies to heal takes a bit of getting used to. There are numbers of members who have had hip operations and I include a thread as well as an exercise video for you to watch and work towards when you feel able to tackle it. It is very early days so don't push yourself too much

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-hips/

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/61236/recovery-from-hip-replacement-surgery#latest

Your name suggests you have a hobby of crafting ? Maybe you could share in the Hobby section some of your products and start a new thread for other members to join.

We are here to offer a safe and friendly place to support you whilst you are affected by living with arthritis, we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Lorraine_24
    Lorraine_24 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hello @Crafter0858 ,like yourself I have severe osteoarthritis in both hip's, I had first one replaced June 23rd I was promised I'd have other one done 4-6 weeks later as they were both as bad as each other and I had little mobility getting around the house was a daily struggle, regarding exercises I've had to get physio 3 times to change my exercises for me as I can't bare any weight on my right leg were hip needs replacing, so I can honestly say it has hindered my recovery, don't have range of movement I should ect due to needing other hip done ASAP, I'm due to see consultant next week and hope to have surgery before Christmas , I try to move around house and walk in garden as much as possible as my mobility is still severely reduced, but to do anything causes so much pain unfortunately I'm not like most people who just need one hip done and this does totally effect your recovery, don't be too hard on yourself we all are different and recover at different rates and like you said your other hip is bad also, so this will slow down the process..I can't wait until I can walk properly , and hope this time next year it will all done and over with, so best advice I can give you is to explain to physio that exercises may need to be adjusted a few times until you find one's your able to do properly, good luck, wishing you a speedy recovery

Lorraine