Best TENS machines?

Options

Evening everyone - I’ve been recently diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis of my right knee and I am looking for any recommendations regarding TENS machines. I’m also interested in whether to purchase a single wireless unit or a multi electrode unit. Any recommendations or suggestions? welcome. Many thanks, Linda

Comments

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,065
    Options

Hi @in2teaching I have a cheap one from Lloyds pharmacy and a slightly more expensive one straight from manufacture. The second one is cordless and rechargeable via usb.

Both are very good, but if the slightly larger pads of the cordless one will fit on your knee i would go for that. I find getting tangled in the cables extremely frustrating and you get a good old shock from the pads if the cable of one electrode disconnects before the safety feature cuts in.

will see if i can find a link to the cordless one. It was a great deal. Half price or less straight from manufacture. I’ve seen it on ebay for 3 or 4 times what I paid.

• Skinny Keef
    Options

Item number

on ebay.

• Skinny Keef
    Options
  • in2teaching
    in2teaching Member Posts: 22
    Options

Thank you so much! That’s really helpful. I was thinking the same about all the cables. Will look into the larger one for my knee. Thanks again :)

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 542
    edited 8. Oct 2023, 10:27
    Options

Hi @in2teaching

I have an old boots own brand one. It's not wireless, has long cables and uses batteries. I had three options, tens, ems and massage with many different levels for each setting.

The best thing I have ever bought and this is the second one I have had, same brand, same model but the old one just fell to bits after years if use. That was about five years ago

The pads last ages, they are readily available from online sites and far cheaper than in store.

The cables are long enough that they would reach down to your knees and use the machine as needed throughout the day. I use a cross shoulder body bag to store my machine in and to hold it while I use it.

I don't think I could cope with a wireless one, the thought of it needing recharging when I need it most puts me off.

Trish xx

• Skinny Keef
    Options

the cordless one has two actuators. If you are only using 2 pads for one location then you will have a spare actuator for when the first one goes flat. The controller lasts for ages and once the actuator has been told what setting you require the controller can be turned off until you want to change setting. The actuator can be turned off manually so you don’t even need the controller for that.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,047
    Options

It should be said that TENS machines are widely available. Ours only cost about £10 from our local pharmacy.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm