Hello everyone, I'm new here. The site gave me a red face, but I'm not angry, honestly.

Tommy_59 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I was wondering if it's possible to be referred to a rheumatologist for Osteoarthritis? I have asked a few times at my GP practice, and have been told that a rheumatologist will not see osteoarthritis sufferers. Does anyone know if this is actually true? Or am I just being fobbed off?

Also, does physiotherapy actually work with Osteoarthritis? I've been given a load of exercises on paper to try, but they don't seem to be helping.

Thank you.


  • yaz239
    yaz239 Moderator Posts: 50

    Hello @Tommy_59 and welcome to the community!

    On this forum you'll be able to seek support and advice from other people living with arthritis. Engaging on the forum is always the best way to seek support, if you feel comfortable of course.

    In the meantime, here's some information on physiotherapy. Physiotherapy | Benefits and how it can help | Versus Arthritis

    Best Wishes, Yas (Mod)

    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • Pete1954
    Pete1954 Member Posts: 2


    If you are in the UK, try and get referred to an active health program at the local sports centre, really helped me. Also google a site called better 5 where you can buy different exercise classes at about £9 - £12. They are really good. Also I think versus arthritis do exercises.

  • noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 826

    Hello @Pete1954 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

    You refer to exercise classes and yes Versus Arthritis have some free YouTube classes, such as YouTube and there are also the Let's Move with Leon classes.

    There is also the free Nuffield Health programme and the Escape Pain so lots to go at without spending a penny.

    Let us know how you get on.

    With best wishes

    Peter (moderator)

    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,600

    Yes, rheumatologists deal with inflammatory forms of arthritis such as RÀ, PsÀ, AS, Lupus etc. Mine deals with my RA and my GP with my OA.

    Physio is, for me, the best way of dealing with OA, alongside distraction. It won't take it away but strong muscles support our joints so that we have less pain and can do more.

    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tommy_59
    Tommy_59 Member Posts: 3

    Thank you all for your replies, they've given me much food for thought, and I'll be looking into them all. Much appreciated! 🙂